Trouble Creating an Address Locator

05-13-2014 01:29 PM
WilliamRice1
New Contributor
I am having difficulty creating an address locator. I have a street centerline feature class as my primary table. I am unsure what other data is needed for the locator to function. I know I need some sort of city block or address data. I also have a polygon feature class of City parcels that I thought I could use.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I am having difficulty creating an address locator. I have a street centerline feature class as my primary table. I am unsure what other data is needed for the locator to function. I know I need some sort of city block or address data. I also have a polygon feature class of City parcels that I thought I could use.

What sort of 'trouble' are you having?  Your centerline feature class should be all you need as long as it has the proper attributes.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
WilliamRice1
New Contributor
My Street_midline feature class has attributes of ID, shape, city, state, zip,street names, street suffix, street type, shape length. When I try and geocode by street name, all of my results are unmatched. The goal for my project is to geocode businesses by their spatial location (address). Following this project I want a composite address locator so I can plug in addresses and it can be geocoded to a single address.  I'm unfamilair with what data I will need just to get the geocoding function to work properly and also what type of data and attributes are needed to build an address locator that can pinpoint to a single address.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
My Street_midline feature class has attributes of ID, shape, city, state, zip,street names, street suffix, street type, shape length. When I try and geocode by street name, all of my results are unmatched.

No address ranges?  If you have a business address of 1234 Main ST and your street data only shows MAIN in the street name and ST in the type, there is nothing to match it to....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
WilliamRice1
New Contributor
Sadly, I have no address ranges. This is the only Cook County data that I was able to obtain. I should probably reach out to the county to acquire more data to build the locator. What kind of attributes should I have in the data table to be able to build a single house address locator for a city?
0 Kudos
PatrickHorton
New Contributor II
Sadly, I have no address ranges. This is the only Cook County data that I was able to obtain. I should probably reach out to the county to acquire more data to build the locator. What kind of attributes should I have in the data table to be able to build a single house address locator for a city?

To locate a single address on the correct side of the street you will need address ranges for both sides of the street.  Your road network data would need LeftFrom, LeftTo, RightFrom, RightTo fields (for ex. 1201, 1200, 1299, 1298), plus any directional information (N, S, E, W), depending on the complexity of your network.

-Patrick Horton
0 Kudos