Track Number of Edits

Jump to solution
04-05-2016 06:54 AM
SharonZastre
New Contributor III

Is there a way to track the number of edits, or the number of records edited, in a versioned enterprise geodatabase?  For example, I would like to know the number of edits from last week, or the number of edits since the last sync/compress.  Any ideas are appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If using MSSQL, and have access to MSSQL Management Studio, you can query the number of records in the A(dd)/D(elete) tables to see how much is pending reconciling/compressions.  This isn't an actual cound of edits necessarily, but give some indication about when if's time.  The larger the A/D tables, the longer it takes to open for editing, etc.

My script:

use mymaster
select name, owner, version_id, state_id, parent_name, parent_owner from [mymaster].[dbo].[SDE_versions]
select * from  [mymaster].[dbo].[SDE_versions]
select * from [mymaster].[dbo].[SDE_states] order by state_id
select * from [mymaster].[dbo].[sde_state_lineages] order by lineage_name, lineage_id

This produces 4 lists and in the lower right corner there is a row count.  Right now I'm at 27 rows...which isn't bad.  Totally reconciled, with one version and state_id=0 is usually 6 rows. For use, when it gets 150+ plus, it's time to reconcile, but that is just our workflow (one person doing edits) since then it is usually time to roll-up and publish.  Actual mileage will vary.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would recommend moving to a more appropriate space like GeodatabaseManaging Data

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TariniMehra1
New Contributor

Geodatabase Archiving would be a possible way to track your edits in a versioned enterprise geodatabase . But it would work only from the time you enable it on a particular feature class. you could connect to a historical version and track the edits made at a particular moment in time.

Below is the link for reference:

Geodatabase archiving—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

-Tarini

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

A rough way one could do this is to use the Version Changes function on the Versioning Toolbar for each version.  The numbers in parenthesis in the pane on the left represent the number of edits made to that version.  Not an optimal solution, though, as one would have to check each version and then track the amounts and how they change over time.

version_changes_function.jpg

Chris Donohue, GISP

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If using MSSQL, and have access to MSSQL Management Studio, you can query the number of records in the A(dd)/D(elete) tables to see how much is pending reconciling/compressions.  This isn't an actual cound of edits necessarily, but give some indication about when if's time.  The larger the A/D tables, the longer it takes to open for editing, etc.

My script:

use mymaster
select name, owner, version_id, state_id, parent_name, parent_owner from [mymaster].[dbo].[SDE_versions]
select * from  [mymaster].[dbo].[SDE_versions]
select * from [mymaster].[dbo].[SDE_states] order by state_id
select * from [mymaster].[dbo].[sde_state_lineages] order by lineage_name, lineage_id

This produces 4 lists and in the lower right corner there is a row count.  Right now I'm at 27 rows...which isn't bad.  Totally reconciled, with one version and state_id=0 is usually 6 rows. For use, when it gets 150+ plus, it's time to reconcile, but that is just our workflow (one person doing edits) since then it is usually time to roll-up and publish.  Actual mileage will vary.

SharonZastre
New Contributor III

Thanks Rebecca!  I think querying the SDE_states table will work to get an idea of the number of edits made.  I don't need an exact number but an estimate so that we can measure productivity.

0 Kudos