Topology in SDE

Jump to solution
03-17-2011 04:27 AM
ChristineBrown
New Contributor
I have an SDE Feature Dataset containing 4 Feature Classes - one polygon FC, two point FCs and one line FC. I would like to create a Topology to control e.g. no overlaps in polygon data.
The FDS and FCs are versioned. When I try to create new topology for FDS I get an error message
"Cannot create Topology. The selected Feature Dataset does not contain any feature classes which can participate in a topology".

Any suggestions?????
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TrinaNair
New Contributor III
Is your Feature Dataset registered as versioned?  Try unregistering it.  You will need to add the tool from 'Customize'.

Trina 😄

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TrinaNair
New Contributor III
Is your Feature Dataset registered as versioned?  Try unregistering it.  You will need to add the tool from 'Customize'.

Trina 😄
Bobby-JoClose
New Contributor III
I have exactly the same issue. If I import the same data into a file geodatabase there are no issues. Do I really need to unregister my data as versioned? That will create other issues for me because we replicate our data to another SDE geodatabase for our users.

Any suggestions would be great.
0 Kudos
MartinHvidberg
Occasional Contributor
There are no way arround. You can't create a topology in a versioned data base. Sorry.
0 Kudos
MartinHvidberg
Occasional Contributor
I have exactly the same issue. If I import the same data into a file geodatabase there are no issues. Do I really need to unregister my data as versioned? That will create other issues for me because we replicate our data to another SDE geodatabase for our users.

Any suggestions would be great.

You can't "Version" a file geodata base, only a 'real' SDE data base. That is why you don't have the problem the second time.
0 Kudos
QuinnFrancis
New Contributor III

Here's a document that talks about this scenario:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//006200000009000000  

To summarize:
- Reconcile/post and compress your edits
- Unregister feature dataset as versioned
- Create your topology
- Register feature dataset as versioned.

Be aware that unregistering features as versioned has the potential for data loss if edits still exist in the delta tables.

29160 - Compress a versioned database to state 0