Select to view content in your preferred language

�??The specified name already exists. Please enter a different name.�?�

06-19-2013 09:20 AM
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor
Hi,

We are trying to migrate from ArcSDE 9.2 and JTX 3.0.1 to ArcSDE 10.1 and Workflow manager 10.1. For this reason, we created atesting computer to migrate there as a test and see the best methodology to migration.

Production environment!
HP-UX 11.11i PARISC 13 GB RAM Oracle 9.2.0.8
ArcSDE 9.2 SP6 Windows

Test environment!
XP Professional SP3 4 GB RAM Oracle 9.2.0.8 ArcSDE 9.2

To recreate the database in the test enviroment I did the following steps:
1. Export a full dump file from the production database. 2. Import the dump file as required to recreate the desired schemas. 3. Installed ArcSDE 9.2 SP6 and configured the service using port 6161

After this we run a sdegdbrepair syntax to diagnose the database. so we can see if there is any orphan file or record. this run with no problem and did not find any problem with the database, however:

1) I noticed there are some entries in the sde system tables that are not supposed to be there. I have the following entries in the sde.layers and sde.table_registry tables:
Owner: gisadmin Table_name: parcelas_14092011

We run ArcSDE 9.2 SP6 in Oracle 9.2.0.8 in HP-UX 11.11. When I try to create a feature class with the name mentioned above, an invalid name dialogue appears stating �??The specified name already exists. Please enter a different name.�?�

2) Also, I see there are some entries in the table sde.gdb_usermetadata that reference feature classes that do not exist any more in our geodatabase. If this normal for this table or is it a problem? If so, how to fix it???

What we are trying to do is to migrate the database as clean as possible, with no orphan records

Please advise�?�

Best Regards,

Diego Llamas
0 Kudos
1 Reply
EmadAl-Mousa
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

the tables or layers are still registered in your ArcSDE system tables, this is when you try createa new one with the same name it shows you the error.

In order to fix this, use the command line (sdelayer -o delete  OR sdetable -o delete). those command lines will remove the tables entries (in a clean manner) from your ArcSDE system tables.

Remark: its better if you upgrade both your Oracle & ArcSDE.

Regards,
Emad
0 Kudos