Table Not Editable !!!

Jump to solution
10-12-2017 09:51 AM
HossameldinElalkamy
New Contributor II

I am adding a field to a feature layer in a geodatabase using AddField in Model builder but I am returned wit the error message "

ERROR 000499: table is not editable.

When I try to manually edit the same layer using start editing it is editable. I checked for Locks on the geodatabase and there are no lock files on that work space. I wonder if any body can help resolving this problem

Hossam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HossameldinElalkamy
New Contributor II

I figured out whats the problem. It was that this layer is joined to another table. Removing the join solves the problem and addField in the model works fine. Thank you all.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SarojThapa1
Occasional Contributor III

Hossameldin,

Check the link provided below. 

000499: Table is not editable.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hopefully, it helps you.

KevinDunlop

Are you trying to edit the feature class while adding fields?  This will prevent you from adding it.  Fields can only be added outside an edit session.

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin

Kevin is correct, stop the edit session, add the field then start the edit session again. 

0 Kudos
HossameldinElalkamy
New Contributor II

No the workspace is not open for editing while trying to add the field programmatically in the model. It is not the issue. Thank you.

0 Kudos
HossameldinElalkamy
New Contributor II

I figured out whats the problem. It was that this layer is joined to another table. Removing the join solves the problem and addField in the model works fine. Thank you all.

LilingLyu
New Contributor II

I just had the same issue, didnt have any join tables. Simply just save the file, close and reopen ArcGIS. 

Sometimes it does funny things.