Select to view content in your preferred language

Stumped on ArcSDE 10 SP 4 upgrade on remote Oracle 11g

03-09-2012 05:47 AM
ScottMcBride
Emerging Contributor
I am trying to do a service pack 4 upgrade of ArcSDE 10 remotely from Windows 2008 server to an Oracle 11G instance on SUSE Linux.  I have copied the binaries from the sde10-sp4-esri-win.zip download to the the %sdehome%\bin directory and makd sure that they are "unblocked".  The Oracle box is locked down by the DBAs so I can't put binaries on them.  When I run the sdesetup -o upgrade -i sde:oracle11g:<oracle instance> -d ORACLE11G -u sde -p <sde_password> command, I get "Install/Upgrade/Delete has to be performed by instance schema owner".  We are using direct connect exclusively.  I have double checked that all the privileges necessary for an "sde" upgrade have been granted, that the dbms packages have been granted to publc, and that the tnsname reference and password are good (sdemon -o pause/resume and other commands work).  Everything in the sde schema is owned by sde.   Also, I was able to "upgrade the geodatabase" with the geodatabase upgrade tool in ArcCatalog from a Desktop 10 with service pack 4.       

Any ideas about what I have overlooked or what I can try? Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Hi Scott,

Geodatabase upgrades for ArcGIS 10+ are done using the Upgrade Geodatabase tool from Desktop, which it sounds like you did.  There is no need to run the sdesetup -o upgrade command.

(The error you're seeing when you run the sdesetup command is a result of the inclusion of the -i option; that is only used with the sdesetup command to specify a user-schema geodatabase in Oracle.)

Respectfully,

Kim
0 Kudos
ScottMcBride
Emerging Contributor
Kim,
     Thank you for your response.  Am I to understand that the Catalog "Update Geodatabase" made all the necessary changes sde schema, to include sde_ tables, stored procedures, etc. as well as the gdb_ tables?  When I query the sde.version table, it reports:  MAJOR 10, MINOR 0, BUGFIX 0, Description "for Oracle11g Build 775 Fri Sep 17 11:45:27 2010, RELEASE 100001, SDESVR_REL_LOW 93001.  I am making a distinction between the geodatabase in the sde schema and the sde repository.  I was expecting the sde.version to reflect that upgrade of the sde repository to service pack four.

Scott
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Yes; Upgrade Geodatabase did all of that.

In general, the numbers in the version table do not change for service packs; they only change if there are repository schema changes, which we try to avoid in service packs.  If the Upgrade Geodatabase button is now inactive, then your geodatabase (all bits) are now upgraded to the same release/service pack as the Desktop application from which you upgraded.
0 Kudos
ScottMcBride
Emerging Contributor
Wow! I was obviously making this more difficult than it really is.  Thank you.
0 Kudos