Stopping data/ layout view refreshing?

10-22-2013 03:02 PM
DavidEdmends
New Contributor III
Does anyone know if it is possible to stop ArcMap refreshing the data view or layout view whilst editing annotations?

I currently have a task which require hundreds of annotations to be manually repositioned, this process is being slowed down by ArcMap constantly refreshing. All none essential layers have already been turned off which does speed things ups somewhat however if I could stop the view refresh after each reposition the task would be much quicker.

Any suggestions more than welcome

Cheers

David
Tags (2)
6 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
David,

I don't think this is possible. Maybe try and cache the layers you need to have on? Also read here for some tips about performance.

Hope this helps!

Tim
0 Kudos
DavidEdmends
New Contributor III
Thank you for replying Tim,

I thought that it may not be possible but it was worth checking.

Cheers

David
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Assuming you are working with Geodatabase annotation and are not constantly changing your map extent, you should build a cache to improve speed.  Look into the Feature Cache toolbar.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
If you do not have to have it feature linked then do it without being feature linked.

In fact you can create it non feature linked and then create a relationship based on the FID after.

You may also  be better off not moving it in the layout view.  May work better to do it in the data view.   Set your reference scale on the data view so everything is in the proper proportion.

Several other things you can try.
try it as non feature linked.
turn off snapping
compress your database
Run Defrag on your computer
Run Disk Cleanup on your computer.
If you are doing it via a network transfer the data to your local hard drive, unless your in SDE in which case leave it there.
Run Disk Check on your computer

It may also be a computer hardware issue.  A few months ago I adjusted thousands of annotations on our system and it goes smoothly.  Annotation uses a lot more resources than dynamic labeling because it is like a polygon.

Some people go crazy using Annotation.  Determine if there are some features which can get buy with dynamic use that more.

Does anyone know if it is possible to stop ArcMap refreshing the data view or layout view whilst editing annotations?

I currently have a task which require hundreds of annotations to be manually repositioned, this process is being slowed down by ArcMap constantly refreshing. All none essential layers have already been turned off which does speed things ups somewhat however if I could stop the view refresh after each reposition the task would be much quicker.

Any suggestions more than welcome

Cheers

David
0 Kudos
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but if you click the rotating globe icon at the bottom, it will stop the data from refreshing. 🙂
0 Kudos
ZacharyOrdo__GISP
New Contributor III

This issue is driving me bonkers!  And too often (though I think usually when my data frames are rotated), using the Edit Annotation Tool (to select an annotation label I want to move or delete) doesn't work.  It won't select it.  I have to select the object using the attribute table, and the apparent clickable position of the label is not in the same place that it is actually drawing.  Very frustrating.  Using feature cache barely improves this issue, if at all.  My best bet so far is to edit the annotation in Data View, but I've also had problems in the past of the annotation changes I make in Data View being exaggerated to an extreme when I go back to Layout View.

0 Kudos