Spatial join more time effeciently?

08-15-2016 04:17 AM
BachirHamadeh
New Contributor

I have over two million crashes located as points through GPS coordinates in the state of Pennsylvania. I also have over a hundread thousand road segments in the state and would like to know the number of crashes per segment. I am right clicking the segment feature class and using join with the point feature class and choisibg summarize sum to do this. I did the analysis on a single county and it worked except when i extrapolated the time to do this for the entire state, i came out with several several weeks with non-stop processing. Is there any way I can process this faster without reducing the number of segments i am merging the crashes to? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Well 2million join to 100k is quite a lot, but I wouldn't think it would take weeks to process.

Is your data properly indexed, in a local fgdb etc etc.

Have you tried using the Spatial Join tool rather than the interface inside ArcMap.

BachirHamadeh
New Contributor

It is  properly indexed and is a fgdb. Thing is am not just just figuring out how many points are there in a road segment. But the point has a table attribute with 12 fields that am actually joining to the segments. Maybe thats why it is taking too long.

0 Kudos