Snapping Help

10-06-2015 12:36 PM
PayvandRakhshan
New Contributor

I am working on a project where I have two polygon layers that constantly get edited and resized.  More specifically there is a subdivision layer and a parcel layer.  The parcel layer is constantly getting resized by a seperate group of people, where then I would have to go back in and resize the subdivision layer to match the parcels.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a way where I wouldn't have to manually resize the features within the subdivision layer, where I could just select those parcels that have been edited and get my subdivision layer to "match" or "snap" to the parcel layer.  Thanks for the help!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like you are in a versioned editing environment in ArcSDE.  Is that correct?

If so a couple of things to consider: first, I don't like using feature datasets in the ArcSDE environment.  They have a tendency to misbehave and create headaches for administrators and users alike.

Second, and given my first suggestion, you might want to instruct your editors to use map topology when editing such that the subdivision and the parcels share a topological relationship and when one gets resized, so will the other.

That should just about do it....
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Using topology would be my suggestion too; it's made to enforce rules you have with how your data should interact.

More generally though, you can use the Clip command from the Editor menu to accomplish what you describe.

ArcGIS Help 10.2 - Clipping a polygon feature

PeterJones
Occasional Contributor

Can you use a parcel fabric layer to generate relationships between layers so that "adjustements" automatically update other layers?

At our work the cadastre is a parcel fabric layer and when it is updated it will spatially adjust other "linked" layers to match the new cadastre boundaries (through a process).

Read more about parcel fabrics on ArcGIS Desktop