Snapping causes ArcMap to crash

05-11-2017 01:37 AM
TheoFaull
Occasional Contributor III

ArcMap 10.4

When drawing a new shape or re-drawing an existing shape using the trace tool, ArcMap will sometimes crash if snapping is enabled.

These are the options I have enabled:

Perhaps when moving my cursor around the map as I trace, it puts my PC resources under too much load. It's like the amount of nodes/verticies available to snap to is TOO DAMN HIGH! So ArcMap just gives up and dies.

So far it's only crashed when drawing/re-shaping polygons.

If I trace with snapping turned off, it doesn't crash.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'll send a crash report next time it happens (but does anyone look at those anyway?)

(side question: when writing a question on this forum, you are required to publish it in a location. however, there are no suitable locations for ArcMap related queries. Any ideas why this is?)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Close all ArcGIS Desktop applications. Try Resetting your ArcGIS application profile

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This type of query would go to https://community.esri.com/community/gis/managing-data?sr=search&searchId=4826934c-b9de-4d34-a8c4-74...‌ since it deals with feature construction, creation, manipulation and related issues

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

PS... trace mode for most applications and geometry is overkill.  How much spatial resolution do you really need?  I have seen people using trace on simple curves or even straight line segments which is courting disaster.

TheoFaull

I need trace so that a new polygon drawn will sit perfectly adjacent to an existing polygon. I can't have any gaps.

I wonder if reducing the snapping tolerance may help... as that would minimise the number of nodes/verticies the cursor is recognising as potential snapping points.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

For gaps you can use database topology and keep them in check. i.e. assuming you are working with feature classes and not shapeiles

Please refer 

Geodatabase topology rules and topology error fixes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Creating a topology—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

~Shan
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Where does your source data reside (SDE database, file geodatabase, other)?

If SDE, what type of database are you using (Oracle, SQL Server, other)?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you should be using the append polygon tool (I think that is what it is called) to ensure that there are no slivers/gaps in existing polygons

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll send a crash report next time it happens (but does anyone look at those anyway?)

Yes we do, so keep sending them in with as much additional information as you can.

If you have a reasonably reproducible case also contact support and supply the data if possible so we can fix it for all users.

shan_sarkar

Does the issue replicate when using a fresh blank arcmap. Have someone else log on to your machine with their profile and see if it still crashes, or you can log on to another machine and test the same.

This way you can rule out a few things and the issue becomes more clearer and easier to troubleshoot.

~Shan
0 Kudos