Simultaneous editing

05-08-2014 02:49 AM
HaniuHokkaido
New Contributor III
Hello experts,

Suppose I have 2 FC that some of the objects are intersecting each other.
Suppose I edit an object in FC 1. And the object is intersecting an object (or some objects) in FC 2. Now, how can the edit (attribute editing) of object in FC 1 affect the attributes of object(s) in FC 2 ? How can i acheve this simultaneous editing ? The geometry is not stored in GEOMETRY or GEOGRAPHY data type

This is relatively,in theory, easy if I do it via sql trigger given that the FC is stored in GEOMETRY or GEOGRAPHY data type.

Environment: Arcgis 10, sqlserver 2008.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
You can accomplish this using the topology tools. You put both FCs in a geodatabase and create a topology in the same database. Then in the topology you create rules such as the FCs must not overlap and must not have gaps or mush share a border. Then you add the topology to the mxd. When you start an edit session with the topology in place and use the topology edit tools, the topololgy rules are followed and you edit both at the same time. You can use the topology tools to fine errors in the topology (where the FCs overlap and they shouldn't, etc.).

It is not the easiest way to do this and there are quirks, but that is what is supposed to do.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
HaniuHokkaido
New Contributor III
Hi MBoucher21,

Thanks..

But what i want is attribut editing... How can I have simultaneous attribut editing, so that when I edit an attribut of FC 1, the same attribute of FC 2 is automatically edited as well ?
Is such thing possible ?

thanks again
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Use the attribute table and the field calculator.  --  You can use the field calculator on a table column to modify the field value for just those features that are selected. If you don't select any features then field values for all features are modified. 

Instead of selecting, you can use the Properties/Definition Query to limit which features are shown in the map and table. Then when you use the field calculator in the, the changes will only be made to those features that are showing.

You can test this out on a copy of your data to make sure it works for you.
0 Kudos