Shapefile Recovery

Jump to solution
02-03-2015 03:01 PM
YukiNakayama-Larrabee
New Contributor

Hey guys,

Bear with me as I'm a bit of a novice with ArcGIS

I just used shapecheck to fix a corrupted shapefile and the resulting folder left me with new .shp, .shx, and .dbf files. The new shape file works so I was happy about that, but I was a little concerned because the original file also had .prj, .sbh, and .shp.xml files and the shapecheck didn't generate new copies of those. Could somebody please explain to me what those files' functions are and whether I should be worried?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The prj file is still salvageable, if you simply rename it to match the same name as the recovered shapefile (keep the *.prj extension).  The other files are just ancillary files, which are generated during processing operations or when files are indexed by attribute or geometry...They will be generated as needed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The prj file is still salvageable, if you simply rename it to match the same name as the recovered shapefile (keep the *.prj extension).  The other files are just ancillary files, which are generated during processing operations or when files are indexed by attribute or geometry...They will be generated as needed.

YukiNakayama-Larrabee
New Contributor

Thanks Dan. I was able to salvage a few weeks of work so that's a big weight off of my back

0 Kudos
LucaMascherin
New Contributor

ti chiedo aiuto per correggere il mio shapefile danneggiato. Non riesco a trovare questo strumento che chiami shapecheck. Cos'è? dove lo posso trovare? grazie

0 Kudos