Setting Appropriate Size for ATTRBUFSIZE Parameter

06-09-2011 01:56 PM
BruceGreen
New Contributor III
Hi Guys,
I wonder how we can determine and set an appropriate size of ATTRBUFSIZE in a way that to have a perfect performance besides NOT wasting too memory?
As you know, the default value of ATTRBUFSIZE is 50000 ,  If we set  too low value then  the buffer will not be used effectively, slowing performance. A too large a value  also will wastes memory, sh how we can set the best value for this parameter?

Thanks for your time in advanced
0 Kudos
11 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
There isn't any one perfect value ATTRBUFSIZE for all datasets.  How many columns do you have
in your average table, and how many in your maximum?  What is the sum of the *potential*
widths in your average table, and how wide is your maximum?  What is the *actual* width of
your average and widest tables?  Do you store a lot of BLOBs, CLOBs or NCLOBs?  Do you have
a very large number of concurrent connections?

I've never had a reason to change any parameter controlled by 'sdeconfig' beyond CONNECTIONS,
INT64TYPES, TCPKEEPALIVE, and MAXGRIDSPERFEAT (and the number of changes at customer
sites beyond CONNECTIONS could be measured with a single digit).  Do you have some reason
to believe your site is misconfigured?  It's a lot easier to hurt performance with the *SIZE and
MAX* parameters than it is to improve it (they all interrelate with one another).

- V
BruceGreen
New Contributor III
Hi Vangelo,
Thanks for your great reply.The reason that I am trying to update the ATTRBUFSIZE value is I was encountering with an issue (Error) as "Attribute buffer is too small" whenever I want to delete a road in ArcSDE.
Can you please let me know that what could be possible cause for this? I update the defualt value of ATTRBUFSIZE to 500000 and then I can edit(delete) the layer withot any problem but I am not sure how to tune the best value size for it?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
I couldn't begin to help you before you answered the litany of questions I posed last time.
In addition, you'd need to tell:
Which database you're using, and its version and service pack level,
Which version and service pack of ArcSDE you are using,
Which version and service pack of ArcGIS you are using, , and
Whether the table you are accessing is versioned.

This is probably a topic best raised with Tech Support, but you still need to collect the
answers to all these questions, since they'll ask them as well.

- V
BruceGreen
New Contributor III
Hi,
Here are some information about the system I am working on:

SELECT BYTES/1024 FROM SYS.DBA_SEGMENTS WHERE SEGMENT_NAME='Map_ROAD' AND SEGMENT_TYPE='TABLE';

BYTES/1024
----------------------
================================================================
SELECT AVG_ROW_LEN * NUM_ROWS FROM USER_TABLES WHERE table_name = 'Map_ROAD';

AVG_ROW_LEN* NUM_ROWS
----------------------
================================================================
SELECT TABLE_NAME, ROUND((AVG_ROW_LEN * NUM_ROWS / 1024), 2) ROW_SIZE_KB, (BLOCKS * 😎 BLOCK_SIZE_KB FROM USER_TABLES WHERE table_name = 'Map_ROAD'

TABLE_NAME : Map_ROAD
ROW_SIZE_KB : 8870.2
BLOCK_SIZE_KB: 6032

Which database you're using, and its version and service pack level,
- Oracle Database 11g Release 11.1.0.6.0 - 64bit Production
Which version and service pack of ArcSDE you are using,
- ArcSDE 9.3 Service Pack 1
Which version and service pack of ArcGIS you are using, , and
- ArcGIS 9.3.1 - Service Pack 2
Whether the table you are accessing is versioned.
-Yes the table is version-ed.
Do you store a lot of BLOBs, CLOBs or NCLOBs?
No
Do you have a very large number of concurrent connections?
Not Really
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
In this context, row width does not include geometry storage.  Keep in mind that ATTRBUFSIZE
impacts *every* table.  You'll need to give Tech Support the DBTUNE creation parameters and a
data sample if they're going to be able to reproduce the error.

- V
0 Kudos
BruceGreen
New Contributor III
I am sorry vangelo, but I didn't get what exactly you mean?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
The information you provided did not answer all of the initial questions. You will need to
provide even more data to Tech Support to discover why you got this message.

- V
0 Kudos
BruceGreen
New Contributor III
Can you please let me know what else is needed?
I really appreciate if you kindly let me know what exactly you need to figure the issue out?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Please contact Tech Support.  They will tell you what they need.

- V
0 Kudos