Select overlapping points within a single layer

Jump to solution
01-23-2014 08:47 AM
GastonIzaguirre
New Contributor III
Hello,

I have a large point layer representing addresses of users of a public service. In the case of buildings, I have stacked points, one for each user.

I want to unify overlapping points  (one point feature), and create a relationship between the building footprint and a non-spatial table containing rows for each user.

I need to select only the points that overlap with other points (the number of overlapping points is variable) and I tried to do it by creating a topology rule "Must Not Overlap", but when validating the topology I get the following error: "Validate Topology failed. A failure was detected inside the topology engine overlay processor. [error id: 220]". This is because my point feature class has many coincident points and a very large number of topology errors are generated.

So, is there a simple way to select points that overlap eachother within the same layer?

Thanks in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I have a large point layer representing addresses of users of a public service. In the case of buildings, I have stacked points, one for each user.

I want to unify overlapping points  (one point feature), and create a relationship between the building footprint and a non-spatial table containing rows for each user.

I need to select only the points that overlap with other points (the number of overlapping points is variable) and I tried to do it by creating a topology rule "Must Not Overlap", but when validating the topology I get the following error: "Validate Topology failed. A failure was detected inside the topology engine overlay processor. [error id: 220]". This is because my point feature class has many coincident points and a very large number of topology errors are generated.

So, is there a simple way to select points that overlap eachother within the same layer?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there!

Maybe you can try the Collect Events tool. It creates another feature class but its main function is to dissolve coincident points. You may still need to change the symbology because the immediate output is symbolized using graduated symbols. For additional questions you can visit this site http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//005p0000003s000000.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ScottMoyer
Occasional Contributor
I have a few suggestions that may help.
1. Dissolve the points on a common attribute, like a building address, if available.
2. Create a new point feature class from the buildings polygons, Feature to Point. Remove unneeded points using select by location with a buffer distance to the users' addresses, switch selection in the table, then delete extra points.
3. Aggregate Points. I haven't used this but it sounds good.
Scott
0 Kudos
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Hi there!

Maybe you can try the Collect Events tool. It creates another feature class but its main function is to dissolve coincident points. You may still need to change the symbology because the immediate output is symbolized using graduated symbols. For additional questions you can visit this site http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//005p0000003s000000.
0 Kudos
GastonIzaguirre
New Contributor III
I have a few suggestions that may help.
1. Dissolve the points on a common attribute, like a building address, if available.
2. Create a new point feature class from the buildings polygons, Feature to Point. Remove unneeded points using select by location with a buffer distance to the users' addresses, switch selection in the table, then delete extra points.
3. Aggregate Points. I haven't used this but it sounds good.
Scott

Thank you very much for your answer, smart approach. I tried it but my problem is that the feature class does not have any attributes in common that allows me to dissolve the points (the attribute exists, i.e. building address, but is not complete for all points).

Regards.
0 Kudos
GastonIzaguirre
New Contributor III
Hi there!

Leonad, this was the solution, the Collect Events (Spatial Statistics) tool.
Thank you very much, it was a great help.
Best regards,
Gastón.
0 Kudos