???Select by attributes??? for Arabic fonts in SDE/file geodatabases,

Jump to solution
02-21-2013 10:33 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
???Select by attributes??? for Arabic fonts in SDE/file geodatabases,

I have the name of communities in English and Arabic language. Of course, there is no any problem when searching these names in English language whether from the SDE of file goedatabase

I got the same feature class in SDE and file geodatabase

1. Searching the Arabic names in file geodatabase works very well and has no problem

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22050[/ATTACH]

2. Searching the Arabic names from the SDE geodatabase has a problem. It doesn???t recognize Arabic languages and thus ends up with finding nothing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22051[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue here?

I installed the ???collation designator??? to be Arbaic, nevertheless, Arbaic words are not recognized in the SDE geodatabase and are not searched correctly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22052[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]22053[/ATTACH]

What other features need to be set?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
15 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

Jamal,

Could you be a little bit more specific as to why you "... couldn't do this check ..."?? Were you unable to check the "Binary-code point" option in the dialog you made a screenshot of and that I attached below again? If so, this might be due to the fact that you also checked/selected "Case insensitive" and "Accent insensitive" or any of the other available options. If I understand it well, "Binary-code point" collations more or less use a predefined table with the sorting order fully determined (this is the code point/page, see this page and this page about character encoding and code pages on Wikipedia). This means you can't add options like "Case insensitive". Also see the following small remark below from this MSDN page, which confirms this incompatibility. So you will probably need to uncheck all other collation options before checking the "Binary-code point" collation option:

"If BIN or Binary-code point is selected, the Case-sensitive, Accent-sensitive, Kana-sensitive, and Width-sensitive options are not available."

I guess you are in the right place, but in your case the statement is probably going to look a bit more like:

"ALTER TABLE dbo.Communities_24 ALTER COLUMN CommunityName_Points_Arabic COLLATE Arabic_BIN2"

In case you wish to try to set a "Binary-code point" (BIN2) collation on this specific column.

Thank you very much Marco for the input. This is very helpful.

I�??ll be trying the valuable alternatives that you have provided in case i further engaged in fonts-related issues.

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

Could you be a little bit more specific as to why you "... couldn't do this check ..."?? Were you unable to check the "Binary-code point" option in the dialog you made a screenshot of and that I attached below again? If so, this might be due to the fact that you also checked/selected "Case insensitive" and "Accent insensitive" or any of the other available options. If I understand it well, "Binary-code point" collations more or less use a predefined table with the sorting order fully determined (this is the code point/page, see this page and this page about character encoding and code pages on Wikipedia). This means you can't add options like "Case insensitive". Also see the following small remark below from this MSDN page, which confirms this incompatibility. So you will probably need to uncheck all other collation options before checking the "Binary-code point" collation option:

"If BIN or Binary-code point is selected, the Case-sensitive, Accent-sensitive, Kana-sensitive, and Width-sensitive options are not available."

I guess you are in the right place, but in your case the statement is probably going to look a bit more like:

"ALTER TABLE dbo.Communities_24 ALTER COLUMN CommunityName_Points_Arabic COLLATE Arabic_BIN2"

In case you wish to try to set a "Binary-code point" (BIN2) collation on this specific column.

Hi Marco,

I got a help from an expert and he advised that the SQL enterprise geodatabase must have the �??Arabic_CI_AS_KS�?� collation to have the Arabic fonts recognized when the search is applied. It worked fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30106[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]30107[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately, there is no way to choose this collation (Arabic_CI_AS_KS) for an existing SQL enterprise geodatabase to enable recognizing Arabic fonts when searched

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
MotasemWadi
New Contributor II

I have the same problem but with oracle 11G ?

0 Kudos
MotasemWadi
New Contributor II

Jamal NUMAN

Hello mr numan , i have the same problem but i use oracle 11g do u have any idea what is the problem ?

0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

The solution should be similar to the one related to SQL server. The only trick in SQL Server is to choose the correct collation when creating the database (as it appears in the screenshot below).

Clip_481.jpg

Jamal Numan
MotasemWadi
New Contributor II

thx mr jamal numan