Select a point by attribute inside a polygon

Jump to solution
07-16-2021 09:50 AM
ManfredSaberbein
New Contributor

Hi, I have 88k polygons with 128k points and I want to select the points with the highest attribute "1-12" inside each polygon.

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

@ManfredSaberbein you could also do this with a Spatial Join.  Spatially Join the Points layer to the Polygons layer and select the option that would "Summarize by Maximum."

If you run the Intersect tool instead, I'd recommend running Table To Excel afterwards and pull the data into a Pivot Table for easy summarization (to find the max of the Point field of interest).

Kindest Regards,

t

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

So you can accomplish this using the intersect tool (or similar) in conjunction with other tools, or methods, to determine the highest "1-12" for each polygon assuming that each polygon has that many points inside.

Also, what do you mean by highest attribute "1-12". If you mean ObjectID, then that will take a few more steps.

ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

@ManfredSaberbein you could also do this with a Spatial Join.  Spatially Join the Points layer to the Polygons layer and select the option that would "Summarize by Maximum."

If you run the Intersect tool instead, I'd recommend running Table To Excel afterwards and pull the data into a Pivot Table for easy summarization (to find the max of the Point field of interest).

Kindest Regards,

t
ManfredSaberbein
New Contributor

Thank you, I did it! 🎉