sdemon -o info -I users with Oracle Diret connect

03-10-2014 08:02 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III
Hi all

How do I run a sdemon -o info -I users   in 10.1/10.2 using Oracle Dierct connect?

Thanks
0 Kudos
13 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The 'sdemon' on the port runs with SDE privileges; if you want the tool to do otherwise
you'll want to take it up in ideas.esri.com or the "Alternatives" sticky thread.

- V
0 Kudos
EmadAl-Mousa
Currently I can run:

C:\>sdemon -o info -I users -s <server name> -i <service number>
ArcSDE Instance 5192 Registered Server Tasks on s0140404 at Mon Mar 10 13:12:06
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
S-ID User Host:OS Started

But using the  Geodatabase Administration dialog box  with a regular user that is schema owner but not SDE owner I can not see the "Connections" tab.

as vince mentioned, "SDE" user requires more permissions and privileges then any other Oracle user, because "SDE" administer's the Geodatabase. i don't think other users should have the privilege to view connections hitting the geodatabase.
0 Kudos
JoseSanchez
The old way works fine for me

C:\>sdemon -o info -I users -s <server name> -i <service number>

I disagree with the idea that only SDE should have access to the list of users that are connected.

We are not SDE administrators but we run the command "sdemon -o info -I users" from time to time to check who is connected and for example see the number of connections when ArcGIS runs slow.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The point is that you won't be able to use 'sdemon' after 10.2.x, with or without a
Direct Connect on the command line, because it won't exist.  If you have requirements
for non-privileged users to be using privileged tools, you should be voicing them to Esri
in an official channel (Ideas, marketing office,...), not just as a post in the User Forums.

- V
0 Kudos