SDE Invalid Column Data Type Error

01-18-2017 07:17 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I am trying to edit a linear SDE feature class that is part of a geometric network in a feature dataset that has not been edited in quite some time (probably not for 2 SDE upgrades). The linear SDE feature class is stored in an Oracle 11.2.0.3 (AIX 64-bit platform) database and I am working with ArcGIS for Desktop v10.3.1. When I try to make an edit (e.g. delete 2 line segments) after starting an edit session, Desktop throws an error "The features could not be deleted.  Invalid column data type.".  Then if I try to the delete a feature after that I get the initial error, I then get a different error "The features could not be deleted.  FDO error: -2147216071".

If I recreate the geometric network and feature dataset inside a new file gdb, I am able to successfully delete the line segments without the errors I am encountering in SDE.

This layer is used widely across my organization's enterprise environment in 100s of mxds so it is imperative that it is fixed without the renaming of the data which would create many broken links.

Has anyone encountered this type of error before?  If so, how did you solve the problem?

Any help or hints are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Bumped up for a greater exposure and better chance for a reply (Hopefully from an ESRI database expert).

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Bumped up again in hopes that an ESRI SDE expert might provide some insight on this error.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Sometimes vangelo-esristaff‌ is here, but I can almost guarantee he'll say to contact technical support. Was the geodatabase upgraded? Is it at 10.3 (check in Catalog)? Are you using direct connections? How's the data stored in Oracle? SDO, SDE binary, ST_geometry?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

To add to the visibility: Geodatabase

I would also echo Melita Kennedy comment that this may be best for Esri Technical Support‌ analyst to review. This is especially since you mentioned not being able to change anything related to the feature class and the complexity of geometric networks.

I would also look into some of the Geometric Network tools to check on the data: About repairing network connectivity—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Was the geodatabase upgraded? Yes it is also at 10.3.1

Are you using direct connections? Yes

How's the data stored in Oracle? SDO, SDE binary, ST_geometry? ST_geometry

I believe the data used to be stored in SDE binary the last time it was edited which was over 3 years ago.

Does ST_geometry get converted into a different storage type when it goes from SDE to a file geodatabase, which could explain why I can edit the same feature class when it is imported into a geometric network in a file gdb?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Yes, the data that is stored in a file geodatabase is very different than an enterprise geodatabase (regardless of RDBMS used).

Is this data issue only happening in a specific version or all versions?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Editing is only done in child versions which is where the error is occurring.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Contacting Tech Support should be your first impulse to address low-level database errors. You can post here as well, but GeoNet is not a replacement for Tech Support.

Storage format does not change without a a specific request to do so.  SDELOB storage would remain so until an explicit upgrade was performed.  The Adds table should always have the same geometry storage as the base table.  If this is not the case, you absolutely need to talk to Tech Support.

The error may be due to corruption of the base table schema with respect to the Adds table; SQL*Plus "describe tablename" on both the base table and Adds table is recommended.

Esri supports Oracle 11.2.0.3 at ArcGIS 10.3.1, but recommends upgrade to 10.2.0.4 11.2.0.4 (ArcGIS 10.4 and 10.5 only support 10.2.0.4 11.2.0.4 and higher).

- V

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Vince:

My organization's SDE DBA has a few questions based on your response.

1.) What parameters of either table would indicate possible corruption?

2.) What error messages might I encounter if I use "describe tablename" on both the base table and Adds table?

With your statement "Esri supports Oracle 11.2.0.3 at ArcGIS 10.3.1, but recommends upgrade to 10.2.0.4 (ArcGIS 10.4 and 10.5 only support 10.2.0.4 and higher)."

Did you mean to say but recommends upgrade to 11.2.0.4 (ArcGIS 10.4 and 10.5 only support 11.2.0.4 and higher)?

I ask because my original post talked about 11.2.0.3 and I never mentioned the Oracle 10.2.0.x

0 Kudos