SDE edits

12-02-2013 07:15 AM
NicholasKnabe
New Contributor
I'm working on a 10.1 SDE geodatabase that is versioned, some of my edits will stay when I reconcile and post, but then some of my edits will go back to their original place before the edit. It is random and doesn't make much sense. The edits are showing up in the tables and log files on the server side but not showing up in the GIS. Anybody else had this problem?

-Nick
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MihailCretu
New Contributor
I'm working on a 10.1 SDE geodatabase that is versioned, some of my edits will stay when I reconcile and post, but then some of my edits will go back to their original place before the edit. It is random and doesn't make much sense. The edits are showing up in the tables and log files on the server side but not showing up in the GIS. Anybody else had this problem?

-Nick

Same problem. I am also using a deployment of Workflow Manager, with 30 clients attached. Random features seem to be reverting to default state. Also I noticed that it seems to be centered on geometries. Meaning that only the geometry is reverting NOT the atributes tables (including user-tracking fields).

I haven't been able to find any of my "edited geometries" within SQL tables.

Also, as exception to Nick, I am not posting my edits, so no reconcile operation is done on the data.

Example: I was editing a polygon within my version (me.edits1 with dbo.default as parent). Saved edits. No error whatsoever. Including Windows logs. Closed ArcMap. Start ArcMAP and added the Featureclass from my version me.edits. Polygon was with the geometry from dbo.default, but the attributes and user-tracking sed that I edited the element 5 minutes ago.

I have 30 users complaining with the same symptoms.
0 Kudos
NicholasKnabe
New Contributor
Same problems here. 4 users trying to edit lines and and the thing we have it narrowed down to is curves. If we have an arc segment we cannot edit that segment it always defaults to what it was before the edits. If we delete the whole feature and re draw it then copy the attributes it stays. Not even splitting the line then re drawing works... Something with the geometry is not working correctly. Been struggling with this issue for about 3 weeks now. The best work around we had was the drag the feature off the side/Re-draw the feature then using the spatial adjustment toolbar copy the attributes from the old to the new then delete the old feature. Very tedious and frustrating but the best work around that I have found.

-Nick
0 Kudos
MihailCretu
New Contributor
I have some geometry with arcs unfortunately. We cannot use arc geometries, so I'm working on a tool to convert them to straight lines.
When I'm done, I'll post the py script if that helps you.

But I am not convinced that only the geoms with arcs are the problem. But I'll investigate this asap anyway.

I am working on a tool to export  all data to shp before arcmap closes, and test for differences when i start it again. So far, nothing concrete, it seem completely random to me.

I've also contacted our ESRI Support. Waiting for a reply.

btw: I am using esri_binary geom type because geometry/geography loads our sql to about 75% CPU per user !
0 Kudos
NicholasKnabe
New Contributor
That is the main thing that is confusing to me, is the fact that it is random. I was moving 4 pipes the other day to a point and 3 of the pipes stuck to the point while the 4th would not stay after moving it and saving my edits. The randomness has really thrown off myself and our IT people.

-Nick
0 Kudos
MihailCretu
New Contributor
@ Nick

After a lot of "googleing" on esri sites/forums I found this patch:
http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/66/metaid/1989#bugs

It says that it it for postgresql but it also modifies SDE.DLL witch is responsible for sde direct connects.
With the ideea that it cannot possibly do more harm, I am going to deploy it on my workstations. All 60 of them. A lot of fun...

I'll post if this has any effect, but you should try to install the patch yourself. Good luck.
0 Kudos