SDE Blob/Buffersize error on Network dataset

07-11-2011 09:19 AM
AllanBenvin
New Contributor III
I just wanted to post this to possibly save others from my fate over the last few days. Our test instance (running ArcSDE 9.2 SP6) had issues last week. Users could connect using ArcMap/ArcCatalog but anytime they touched a feature dataset their session was killed. The only errors we got in the log tables were:
->sde.log: �?? SDE_Oracle Error: 3127  ORA-03127: no new operations allowed until the active operation ends�?�
->giomgr.log: "SDE Server 6868 went down on signal 11"

Apparently signal11 often has to do with a blob exceeding the SDE configuration limits. Turns out someone had added a network dataset with a large number of rules. These rules get stored in the SDE.GDB_EXTENSIONDATASETS table in a blob field. By clearing out this value in SQL I was able to view the feature datasets in Catalog.

The long term fix to this, rather than randomly blowing away portions of data in the GDB tables is to increase the MAXBUFSIZE parameter of your sdeconfig  to accomodate the larger blob sizes.
   (sdeconfig -o alter -v MAXBUFSIZE=150000 -u sde )

This error occured in 9.2 in our 10 instance this GDB table does not exist and all the GDB info has been merged into just a few tables. I'm not sure what error occurs in 10 if the blob or buffer size is exceeded but I wanted to put this in the forums for reference. If I knew that signal 11 meant to increase the MAXBUFSIZE I could have saved several days.

-Al Benvin
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
"Signal 11" usually refers to a segmentation violation error.  This error occurs any time a
program exceeds the bounds assigned to it in memory.  There an infinite number of ways to
generate a SIGSEGV fault, but in theory it shouldn't ever occur.   It's too late to fix ArcGIS 9.2
(which is now in "Mature" support status), but if ArcGIS 10 gives you this error, please report
it so the bug can be fixed.

- V
0 Kudos
ChrisLim
New Contributor
"Signal 11" usually refers to a segmentation violation error.  This error occurs any time a
program exceeds the bounds assigned to it in memory.  There an infinite number of ways to
generate a SIGSEGV fault, but in theory it shouldn't ever occur.   It's too late to fix ArcGIS 9.2
(which is now in "Mature" support status), but if ArcGIS 10 gives you this error, please report
it so the bug can be fixed.

- V

We have ArcSDE 10 SP 5 on Redhat Linux, just got the same error
Tue Jun 24 20:58:32 2014 - SDE Server 24929 went down on signal 11

Also has another log saying
ERROR: kfnUseConn - failure to make a connection

We are using ArcObject to connect to SDE from custom code which loads multiple types of vector data, we are getting "Network I/O error" on the client application and SDE has those logs. It looks like this specific SDE machine because another SDE works fine. But, we need to identify the issue and resolve since the problem SDE machine is in production.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
ArcGIS 10.0sp5 is now in Mature support status, but you should contact Tech Support
so they can try to reproduce your issue.

- V
0 Kudos