SDE 10 - Multiple geodatabases or one gdb with multiple feature classes?

08-31-2011 10:01 AM
PlanningLDS
New Contributor
We are looking to develop a new enterprise GDB using ArcSDE 10 and PostGreSQL.  The local government model shows that data is to be organized into feature datasets, however, I was told (9.2 era) to avoid using feature datasets to organize data, and rather use feature datasets only when using functionality like topology, networks, etc.   We have several "simple" feature classes that we maintain on SDE that do not need to be in a feature dataset.  Based on the information I can find on the Esri site, I am not sure whether to create one geodatabase and organize by feature dataset, or create multiple databases and geodatabases to organize data and keep the simple feature classes out of feature datasets.  Any insight would be much appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
How many tables are you talking about? 

It's still not recommended to use feature datasets to organize "folders", but orgainzing
multiple server instances for data that need only live in one adds to complexity as well.
I usually just use data ownership accounts to keep track of dozens to scores of tables,
but I'm a back-end server geek, so I rarely need to visualize a long list of tables through
a GUI.

- V
0 Kudos