Schema out of date 10.7 client to 10.3.1 SDE Oracle 12c

05-20-2019 04:11 AM
JoëlHempenius3
Occasional Contributor II

My organization is planning to update all Arcgis Software from 10.3.1 to 10.7. I'm currently testing the 10.7 products and I've run into an error with using a small number of tables from my Enterprise Geodatabase from ArcCatalog 10.7 and Arcgis Server 10.7

When I try to get the properties of this table in ArcCatalog, I get a message: Schema out of date, Retry as owner or sdeadmin [THEMA_BAG.VBO_ADRESSEN][STATEID = 90368]

From Arcgis Server I get:

WARNING May 20, 2019, 12:01:54 AM The Layer:'Verblijfsobjecten' in Map:'Layers' is invalid. The base table definition string "THEMA_BAG.VBO_ADRESSEN" is invalid. Schema is out of date, Retry as owner or sdeadmin [THEMA_BAG.VBO_ADRESSEN][STATE_ID = 90368]. Geodiensten/Externe_Data.MapServer 

Arcgis Server was installed with 10.3.1 and the mapservice was created using a 10.3.1 client, after installing and creating the mapservices, I upgraded to 10.7

When I run this code in Arcpy from ArcCatalog 10.7:
fields = arcpy.ListFields(r"E:\SDE\geodiensten_view@barp.sde\THEMA_BAG.VBO_ADRESSEN')
print (str(len(fields))), I get 0, so Arcpy can see the table, but it cannot get the fields.

Arcmap, ArcCatalog and Arcgis Server 10.3.1 can use the table without any error. 

My Enterprise geodatabase contains 1000+ Featureclass, most of them can be used with 10.7 without any problem, there are only around 10 tables which result in the same error and 0 arcpy fields. 

The user has only select on the table in both cases.

I use Oracle 12c 12.1.0.2.0

Running this code with ArcCatalog 10.3.1 gives:

>>> desc= arcpy.Describe('E:\SDE\geodiensten_view@barp.sde')

>>> desc.currentRelease

True

>>> 

Normally, when I get this error, I would use Schema owner to connect in ArcCatalog and hit the table to fix the Schema out of date, but I do this with both client and SDE at the same version.

In this case I'm afraid I might break something on the 10.3.1 side when I use the Schema owner on ArcCatalog 10.7 to connect to this table. The Enterprise Geodatabase contains 1TB+ of data, so restoring the database from backup after I break something is possible, but time consuming. 

So my question is: can I solve this Schema out of date with a 10.7 ArcCatalog and is it safe to do for the exiting 10.3.1 clients?

-Joël Hempenius.

Languages: JavaScript, Python and Dunglish
0 Kudos
17 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

This may make your date unsuable by 10.3 configured products

Right click on the database in Catalog and upgrade the database to 10.7

0 Kudos
JoëlHempenius3

That will definitly break things according to this page:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geodatabases/client-geodatabase-compatibility...

Until I've updated all my 10.3.1, I cannot update to SDE 10.7

-Joël Hempenius.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I would suggest creating a 10.7 SDE database (as a copy of your 10.3.1 data) load it up and then see if it works.  Using copy's of your 10.3.1 mxd's or pro projects.

Personally we are holding off on the upgrade until 10.7.1

0 Kudos
JoëlHempenius3

No I'm afraid that is not an option for me, because I need to have 10.3.1 Enterprise Geodatabase working with 10.7 clients. According to the linked page, a 10.3.1 client cannot use a 10.7 Enterprise Geodatabase, so this Enterprise Geodatabase upgrade has to be done after all clients are upgraded. Therefore, I will have a month between client upgrade and Enterprise Geodatabase upgrade and during this, these tables must be available.

-Joël Hempenius.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Ouch,

Good luck. Fortunately we only have 6 licenses to worry about and five of us are on the same work group and the 6th is fully onboard.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Error: Schema is out of date, retry as owner or sdeadmin 

Do you normally modify the schema from the DBMS end?

Maybe you can check and compare the schema from DBMS side and ArcCatalog 10.3.1 side, to check if there were schema changes. Though, you mentioned that ArcGIS 10.3.1 can work with these tables just fine. Still worth a check.

We normally use a Testing instance, to check everything is in order before such migration\upgrades. You could probably do the same. Maybe, just backup one or two of those problematic tables and experiment with that only.

0 Kudos
JoëlHempenius3

I have a DTAP for the Oracle Database, but I also have 50+ developers who cannot work when I break things in these databases, so I have to be very careful here. I will get another database for this upgrade, but this takes a lot of time.

-Joël Hempenius.

0 Kudos
PeterHanmore
New Contributor III

Joël,

Did you find a solution to this problem?  I just ran into this issue today, connecting from Desktop 10.6.1 to SDE 10.4.1 on Oracle.  Most layers are fine but there are a few that throw the Schema out of date error.  The state_id is different though - I'm getting 14670.  Our DBA has connected to the problem layers as the schema owner and they draw fine for him.  They also draw fine for me using the exact same .mxd file from ArcCatalog 10.5.1.

I did notice that when looking at the problem layers properties in ArcMap, the connection details were different from the other layers even though they were all added through the same database connection file (.sde).

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does the user only have select privileges on the data that throws the error?  Have you tried granting the user additional privileges to see if you can get past this error?  I know from experience that privileges that worked in older GIS versions did not work in newer versions and my org needed to grant some additional privileges.  Not saying it will solve the problem, but something to check.

0 Kudos