Schema changes don't update the data

04-09-2010 06:22 AM
DouglasGreenfield
New Contributor III
I added a field to a one way replica and then populated it with values. Then I followed the schema change instructions - compare schema and then import the changes and this added the field to my child replica. The problem is the values are all nulls. Synchronizing the data does not populate the new values. I tried an experiment where I moved one point slightly and synchronized changes and that worked to populate the new field for that one point only. I could move all of my points a hair but there has to be a better way than that to transfer the values in this field. Right?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
StaceyCrowe
New Contributor
Did you ever find a solution to this problem.  I have run into the same problem.

Stacey
0 Kudos
DouglasGreenfield
New Contributor III
It's been a while so I don't remember for certain but I don't think I ever found a solution. I think I did some workaround like joining the replicated child table back to the parent to calculate the values. Way to go ESRI!
0 Kudos
SeanGrant
Occasional Contributor
Since you made the change (added the field and populated the values) before the the new field was added to the child, the Sync doesnt know there are differences to syncronize. As you witnessed when you moved your point, the replica updated. That is because it recognized that as a change and updated the new field because you sync'd the schema's. It is designed to sync changes when they happen after the replica has been established.

It may not be possible in your situation but what would work is if you add the field to the parent (don't calc the values yet), run through the schema change instructions (so at this point the parent and child replica are in-sync schema wise so the replica will now understand if changes are made it needs to sync them), then calc the values on the parent. So now the replica knows there have been changes made and when you sync, the child will be updated.

If you can't redo it then you can do as Douglas suggested and join the tables together and calc the field so that the data is now in sync or calc another field in order for it to recognize the changes for teh records (perhaps make a text field uppercase/lowercase)

Does that makes sense?

Take a look at this Web Help article describing "Edits that don't synchronize".
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/Working_with_...

-Sean
deleted-user-t3dSviijg-m9
Occasional Contributor

Makes sense.... this helped, thank you

0 Kudos