Resetting Raster calculation limits

10-19-2011 10:10 AM
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
I�??m having a problem with an Arc Hydro tool that uses rasters. Some setting is limiting the raster or calculation limits in the data frame.

The attached image shows that the subwatershed (lite green) delineation is limited to a rectangular area. The sub-watersheds should cover the red polygons. This process uses rasters then converts them to polygons so I know the problem is in the raster calculations. This tool worked earlier today, but I had to rerun it and now it has problems.

I recall there being a command to reset something that would fix this but I can�??t recall it or figure it out again. Do you know off the top of your head.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBoucher
I'm having the same problem on another project.
Any ideas out there?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
I was able to get some ESRI support time with Jon B. from ESRI (thanks Jon!). I shared my screen with him and we walked through the processes to make sure they worked.

The solution was to go to the "Geoprocessing" menu> "Environments..." > "Processing Extent".
Under Processing Extent choose a layer that you know covers the full extent of the waters you are processing and click OK. This should ensure that the processing extent is large enough to do what you want.

To check this, I purposefully choose a Processing Extent to match that of my Batch Points and ran the subwatershed delineation. The result was like the original, the limits of the subwatersheds were constrained by the extent of the Batch Points. When I changed the extent to the rawdem layer and reran the subwatershed delineation, the results were correct.

So the solution was simple. I'm still not sure why the processing extent was set to that of the batch point layer when I encountered the problem.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
This was solved by resetting the processing extents. Got to Geoprocessing> Environments >Processing Extent to be equal to a layer that spans the area I was working on.
0 Kudos