Replica not sync'ing

01-30-2013 07:10 AM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
I have Geodatabase 1 and Geodatabase 2.

Geodatabase 1 is the PARENT

Geodatabase 2 is the ONE-WAY REPLICA

I added a new Domain to Geodatabase 1, and a new field to 3 Feature Classes (MAJ_VLV, Text, 3).

In ArcCatalog I right clicked on Geodatabase 1 - Distributed Geodatabase - Synchronize Changes. I want to make the changes I did in Geodatabase 1 appear in Geodatabase 2.

It seemed to sync ok. No errors. But, I then opened Geodatabase 2 and the changes are not there. I then refreshed Geodatabase 2, still the changes do not show up. Any ideas on what is happening?

I have attached a screenshot of the Synchronize Changes Dialog Box.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have Geodatabase 1 and Geodatabase 2.

Geodatabase 1 is the PARENT

Geodatabase 2 is the ONE-WAY REPLICA

I added a new Domain to Geodatabase 1, and a new field to 3 Feature Classes (MAJ_VLV, Text, 3).

In ArcCatalog I right clicked on Geodatabase 1 - Distributed Geodatabase - Synchronize Changes. I want to make the changes I did in Geodatabase 1 appear in Geodatabase 2.

It seemed to sync ok. No errors. But, I then opened Geodatabase 2 and the changes are not there. I then refreshed Geodatabase 2, still the changes do not show up. Any ideas on what is happening?

I have attached a screenshot of the Synchronize Changes Dialog Box.

I think you'll need to try a couple of things and see what happens:

1.  'Cut the cord'; that is unregister the child from the parent at the parent database as well as at the child database.  Then re-register using existing geometry.

If that works, great.  If not:

2.  Cut the cord and rename your child feature classes to something else and re-replicate.

(You'll want to back up both databases before step 1 and/or 2)

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor
Schema synchronization is a separate process from data synchronization.  Look at the Schema Synchronization tools (specifically Compare Replica Schema and the Import replica schema tools/commands)

After making schema changes (i.e adding fields like you mention) - then use the schema sync tools to apply the same changes to the relative relica geodatabase.  Then follow on with syncing the changes you've made to the data (rows) itself.

Please look at the following help topic for more guidance:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Schema_changes/003n000000wn000000/

There is a sample on the geodatabase code gallery that has tools for synching schema and data in one tool. 

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos