Relationship for attachments - related items in table

Jump to solution
02-24-2019 03:36 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I have a point feature class with attachments. While I can see the attached items in the identify tool I cannot directly access the items through the related tables which does not make sense to me. Is that the desired behaviour? When I want to remove an attached item it is not very comfortable to look for the right file in the whole table. Instead I would expect to get the attached items through the related table function and then would easily be able to remove the desired file. Did I miss something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Haha, yes, either or

Well, just when I was trying to summarize for support what does not work I thought "maybe I have to relate my tables again to make that work" et voilà: It works. I would still think that having a relationship class should do the job but it doesn't...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Attachments toolset... is it a license issue?

The tools in the Attachments toolset require an ArcGIS Desktop Standard or Desktop Advanced license.

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

No, can't be. I am running an Advanced License. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so you aren't using the Attachments tools then?

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Well, I used the create Attachments option in the context menu of the feature class. That creates the attachment table and the attachment relationship class. The attachments themselves are created and attached through a python script. 

When I do the same (step by step) through the toolbox I end up with the same result.    I can see the attachments with the identify tool but I cannot access them through the related table in the attribute table. That can't be wanted...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

people are quite attached to their attachments

https://community.esri.com/search.jspa?q=attachments&place=%2Fplaces%2F478947&depth=ALL 

but none cover your case, so it is either so obvious how to do it, or it can't be done, or it isn't a suggestion

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Haha, yes, either or

Well, just when I was trying to summarize for support what does not work I thought "maybe I have to relate my tables again to make that work" et voilà: It works. I would still think that having a relationship class should do the job but it doesn't...