Registration of Database issue while Publishing service

Jump to solution
05-29-2018 04:21 AM
MuhammadHammad
New Contributor II

Dear all,

I getting registration of Database issue while publishing a service. I am attaching the snapshots of the error. Please guide me how can I resolve this issue.

I will be extremely thankful to you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Muhammad, 

From the description and the attached screenshots, it appears that the issue is related to ArcGIS Server's inability to connect to the underlying Oracle database using TNS names. This can have several culprits which you can systematically check off / test until the issue is hopefully resolved. Some things to consider / test:

• If possible, try to make a connection using Oracle EZ / easy connect syntax (instance = servername/service name) vs TNS names to the underlying Oracle database. If this is successful and works for your needs- no further steps are needed. However, if TNS naming is a requirement then you will need to do the following:
  • ArcGIS Server requires the 64 bit Oracle client to be installed and configured as per the suggested configurations (depending on how your AGS Server, Oracle, and client are setup) here: Register an Oracle database with ArcGIS Server—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 
  • Ensure to place the location of the 64 bit Oracle client libraries first in the PATH variable on the ArcGIS Server machine.
  • If you install the 64 bit Oracle ADMIN client- run netca / Oracle Network Configuration Assistant which will create the appropriate tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files on the Server machine.
  • If you install the 64 bit Oracle INSTANT client you will need to do a couple of additional steps:
    • Copy the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora text file from the Oracle database server or client machine that CAN connect successfully. These files are typically found in: dbhome\NETWORK\ADMIN on the database server for the instance.
    • Paste these files into an accessible folder (to ArcGIS Server / service) on the AGS machine
    • Create a new system environment variable named "TNS_ADMIN" with the value = the path to the above folder / directory containing the newly copied tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files. More on this is described here: Instant Client FAQ 
    • Restart the ArcGIS Server service.
  • Then re-attempt connection / registration of the database with ArcGIS Server. 

This is a fairly exhaustive list but lists the most typical reasons why people encounter ORA TNS errors when registering an Oracle database with ArcGIS Server. I hope this is helpful- please feel free to reach out with any questions and if this works for you!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Muhammad, 

From the description and the attached screenshots, it appears that the issue is related to ArcGIS Server's inability to connect to the underlying Oracle database using TNS names. This can have several culprits which you can systematically check off / test until the issue is hopefully resolved. Some things to consider / test:

• If possible, try to make a connection using Oracle EZ / easy connect syntax (instance = servername/service name) vs TNS names to the underlying Oracle database. If this is successful and works for your needs- no further steps are needed. However, if TNS naming is a requirement then you will need to do the following:
  • ArcGIS Server requires the 64 bit Oracle client to be installed and configured as per the suggested configurations (depending on how your AGS Server, Oracle, and client are setup) here: Register an Oracle database with ArcGIS Server—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 
  • Ensure to place the location of the 64 bit Oracle client libraries first in the PATH variable on the ArcGIS Server machine.
  • If you install the 64 bit Oracle ADMIN client- run netca / Oracle Network Configuration Assistant which will create the appropriate tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files on the Server machine.
  • If you install the 64 bit Oracle INSTANT client you will need to do a couple of additional steps:
    • Copy the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora text file from the Oracle database server or client machine that CAN connect successfully. These files are typically found in: dbhome\NETWORK\ADMIN on the database server for the instance.
    • Paste these files into an accessible folder (to ArcGIS Server / service) on the AGS machine
    • Create a new system environment variable named "TNS_ADMIN" with the value = the path to the above folder / directory containing the newly copied tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files. More on this is described here: Instant Client FAQ 
    • Restart the ArcGIS Server service.
  • Then re-attempt connection / registration of the database with ArcGIS Server. 

This is a fairly exhaustive list but lists the most typical reasons why people encounter ORA TNS errors when registering an Oracle database with ArcGIS Server. I hope this is helpful- please feel free to reach out with any questions and if this works for you!

MuhammadHammad
New Contributor II

Thanks Rex,

There was an Oracle 12c 32 bit already installed. After installing Oracle 11g 64 bit, helped me to resolve the issue.

In environmental Path variable, Oracle 11g 64 bit Path is set before Oracle 12 c 32 bit.