Select to view content in your preferred language

Raster to Polygon NOT WORKING

09-04-2013 04:41 AM
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
Ok this is the second time I have posted on this topic and I am reposting because this is having a massive impact on our work. We can not get the raster to polygon tool working.
I have tried using .ecw, jpg, .tiff, .GeoTif nothing works. I have left the tool running all weekend and com back on monday and the tool is still going. I have even used my work mates pc and ran it for 8 days and nothing.
I have tried it on small images big images single tiles and the same result the tool just will not work.

Any ideas and anyone know how to register this issue with ESRI?

Running 10.1 SP4.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor
Greetings!

I am looking into this, but need some more information from you. Could you please tell me whether your input raster is a single band or a multi band raster? You can check this from the raster layer properties. Also, please try running the tool with a single band raster (if not already) and see if you encounter same issue.

Regards,
Prasanta.
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
Ok this is the second time I have posted on this topic and I am reposting because this is having a massive impact on our work. We can not get the raster to polygon tool working.
I have tried using .ecw, jpg, .tiff, .GeoTif nothing works. I have left the tool running all weekend and com back on monday and the tool is still going. I have even used my work mates pc and ran it for 8 days and nothing.
I have tried it on small images big images single tiles and the same result the tool just will not work.

Any ideas and anyone know how to register this issue with ESRI?

Running 10.1 SP4.

The GP looks working. As recalled, also OK with 10.0 SP5.

But, before running any tools on �??raster to vector�??, something more need to done firstly, which could be referred to the general workflow below:

1. Classification or segmentation on raster image (no matter how many bands, 1~multi~hyper) must be done first;
2. �??Grouping�?? on above-classes or segments also advisable;

Then, run one of �??raster to vector�?? tools.

After that, many �??cleanup�?? are also required, in order to get �??meaningful�?? outcomes (points, polylines, or polygons).

Certainly, if directly converting �??raster to vector�??, it will take forever and also get �??un-meaningful�?? results.

Regards,

++++

As a reference, ENVI with �??Feature Extraction�?? (5.0 SP3) has this efficient workflow with advanced algorithms to convert 'raster to vector', which is similar to ERDAS Objective.

Moreover, to ESRI users, the attractive is that ENVI 5.0 provides 'seamless�?? integration with ArcGIS.

For example, object-oriented �??rulesets (*.rul)�?? from desktop ENVI can be run as an ENVI tool inside ArcGIS 10.x, to effectively extract features from rasters, which is just like �??rules (*.cga)�?? from desktop CityEngine can be run in ArcGIS 10.2 to generate 3D city models from GIS data.
0 Kudos
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
These files are 3 Band .tif. I have about 8000 of them organised in a Mosaic dataset for viewing. When put together they cover an area of about 2000Km long and 500 Meters wide. I can of coarse break this task into smaller sections but as I said I can not get the tool working on even 1 single .tif.  

I need a polygon to measure how much aerial photos (in Meters Squared) we have recieved from a sub contactor. Attached is an image of one of the .Tif files.

It is critical that the end polygon does not cover the white area in the photo. Just the actual picture part not the white part.
I can get a polygon of the whole area with white part inclueded no problem from the footprints.

Let me Know if this helps and how to prceed.
0 Kudos
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor

It is critical that the end polygon does not cover the white area in the photo. Just the actual picture part not the white part.
I can get a polygon of the whole area with white part inclueded no problem from the footprints.

Hi,

If that is what you are trying to get, I would not suggest you raster to polygon. Instead, you can use build footprint tool to get rid of the white areas from your images in a mosaic dataset. Once the footprints are built, you should be able to calculate the area from them or export them as necessary. Please note that you might have to play with the parameters to get an accurate footprint. I would assume that the white pixels are 255, so you would want to use a value lesser than or equals to 254 for the maximum data value (which will exclude white pixels for footprint calculation). Also, make sure that the maintain sheet edge option is checked on as it will only get rid of the white pixels form the border areas. It's best to test the tool with smaller subset of your images before you run it for entire mosaic dataset. It's also better to run the tool before you build the mosaic dataset overviews.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27272[/ATTACH]*
Hope this helps!

Prasanta.
0 Kudos
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
These files are 3 Band .tif. I have about 8000 of them organised in a Mosaic dataset for viewing. When put together they cover an area of about 2000Km long and 500 Meters wide. I can of coarse break this task into smaller sections but as I said I can not get the tool working on even 1 single .tif.  

I need a polygon to measure how much aerial photos (in Meters Squared) we have recieved from a sub contactor. Attached is an image of one of the .Tif files.

Did you try convert your tifs to the ESRI format (GRID) first (then using Raster to Polygon) ?
The tifs can be displayed but it is not suitable for data converting by using ESRI geoprocessing tools.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
The tifs can be displayed but it is not suitable for data converting by using ESRI geoprocessing tools.

Tiff format is the default format for file based rasters in many geoprocessing tools (when workspace is set to folder rather than gdb).  Tiff is certainly a valid input to ALL geoprocessing tools that take raster input.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
Hi,

If that is what you are trying to get, I would not suggest you raster to polygon. Instead, you can use build footprint tool to get rid of the white areas from your images in a mosaic dataset. Once the footprints are built, you should be able to calculate the area from them or export them as necessary. Please note that you might have to play with the parameters to get an accurate footprint. I would assume that the white pixels are 255, so you would want to use a value lesser than or equals to 254 for the maximum data value (which will exclude white pixels for footprint calculation). Also, make sure that the maintain sheet edge option is checked on as it will only get rid of the white pixels form the border areas. It's best to test the tool with smaller subset of your images before you run it for entire mosaic dataset. It's also better to run the tool before you build the mosaic dataset overviews.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27272[/ATTACH]*
Hope this helps!

Prasanta.

Thank you so much for your post. The method you described works. Its asking to much of the raster domain tool to build a polygon from 500 tiles. You need to break it down to 50 tile sections and then it can handle it. Thanks again and I owe you a beer.
0 Kudos