Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't delete a geodatabase a00002.gdbtable

Jump to solution
08-02-2013 07:17 AM
TomMagdaleno
Regular Contributor
My workflow the last few years is to have an editing copy and a user copy of my file geodatabases.  Roughly once a month I wait until everyone is out of the user geodatabase and all lock files are gone so I can delete and overwrite it with the editing copy.  Lately I have been having a problem where even though no one is using the geodatabase it says I cannot delete a00002.gdbtable.  When I open the geodatabase in windows explorer all I see are a bunch of .gdbtable files that will not delete.  It says they are in use, but everyone it out and their are no lock files.  The only way I can update the geodatabase is to copy and paste in windows explorer everything out of the editing copy of the file into the user copy of the file.  What is going on?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I think these might be 'open files' despite no longer have a .lock file.  Are you using Windows 2008 R2 by chance?  If so, open the Start menu and type fsmgmt.msc and hit enter.  Click on Open Files, find your GDB files in the list, select them all with Shift+click, and right-click to close.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Tom,

ArcSDE for SQL Server Express is included free as part of ArcGIS for Desktop Standard and Advanced.  I would recommend using an SDE geodatabase to perform your edits, and then you can set up geodatabase replication to replicate the changes to the File Geodatabase.
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Regular Contributor
I'm trying to do that and every time I get an error 00582 every time I try to create a replica.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Are you using the GP tools to create the replica?  Try using the 'Create Replica' tool on the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar and see if you receive the same error.
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Regular Contributor
Are you using the GP tools to create the replica?  Try using the 'Create Replica' tool on the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar and see if you receive the same error.

I am using the correct tool.  I'm still getting that weird error.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I think these might be 'open files' despite no longer have a .lock file.  Are you using Windows 2008 R2 by chance?  If so, open the Start menu and type fsmgmt.msc and hit enter.  Click on Open Files, find your GDB files in the list, select them all with Shift+click, and right-click to close.
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Regular Contributor
William, that is brilliant.  I didn't know about that trick.  The problem comes and goes, now I have a way of making it go.
0 Kudos