Raster from NetCDF trouble.

03-12-2016 09:14 AM
NilsSlättberg
New Contributor

Hello.

I've made a raster layer from at netCDF file. The raster looks fine, but the values are a bit odd. The data is supposed to be average temperature for the years 2001-2014, but the temperature values are kind of extrem: too low in the northern hemisphere and too high in the southern. I suspect I haven't got the entire temporal range, but rather just January temperatures or something like that. When I try to set the values for the "time" dimension in the Make netCDF raster layer tool I get a dropdown with values only from 1900-01-04. So I can choose for example "1900-01-04 10:00:40". But I want the raster to show the average temperature of the entire range 2001-2014.

I also tried making a table, but that does not work at all. I'm a GIS newbie and have never worked with netCDF files before. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Nils

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NilsSlättberg
New Contributor

I did, but I found nothing that helped me. It appears that I can choose to show one "band" at a time, but I want an average of all bands, assuming bands are the different times. Maybe I have to do that in a different program before importing it to arcmap?

0 Kudos
TonyLeggett
New Contributor II

I'd suggest you install Anaconda python and then install the python netCDF library. That way you can do various operations on any of the variables in the netcdf file, including calculate averages. You would then use matplotlib and Basemap [both python libraries] to plot the result. Or you could write out the average data to a netcdf file and use ArcGIS to plot that.

0 Kudos