Raster calculator and weighted sum both outputing blank results

01-18-2012 07:03 AM
PaudraigCurran
New Contributor
I'm having some problems getting either the Raster calculator or the weighted sum operation to work right.  I've created several rasters from polygons and am trying to figure out the weighted degree of overlap.  Unfortunately every time I run the raster calculator or weighted sum operations, all I get is an empty raster.  Anyone know what's going wrong?

All the rasters have the same extent.
All the rasters are the same resolution.
All the rasters have the same spatial reference (NAD 1983).

Can anyone help?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SamCoggins1
New Contributor III
Are you using 'float'. It might make a difference.
0 Kudos
PaudraigCurran
New Contributor
With some help it is now fixed.  Turns out what I was doing when I created the rasters from the polygons anywhere there wasn't a polygon wound up with a value of "NoData" instead of 0.  And if there's Nodata in any of the cells that get input into a weighted sum or the raster calculator, then the output cell will have NoData as its' value.

I just have to go through and reclassify the rasters so that NoData = 0 and then re-run my raster calculations.
0 Kudos
TarunJaiswal
Esri Contributor
Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue is fixed.

For future reference, just wanted to share this informative blog posting - "Null Doesn�??t Mean Zero?" which talks about the issue you were facing before.

Thank you so much.
0 Kudos
NicoleCarlozo
New Contributor
I was also having problems with the Weighted Sum tool outputting a complete "NoData" raster. I checked the extent and the inputs, but could not find any problems.

I ended up opening a new model and recreating the work flow from scratch. After re-building the tool within model builder, the tool worked perfectly.
0 Kudos