"Linking" Feature Classes

05-23-2013 10:05 AM
LoganCaraway
New Contributor II
Hello,
Every week i download data from a site and compile it into one feature class. I would like to be able to create 3 additional feature clsses that can be placed in a web map. I would like the classes to show data for the last 7 days, last 14 days, last month... My question is there any way to tell a feature class to pull data from the master feature class of which I am dumping the downloaded material in and have it query to show last 7 days, 14 days etc... In other words, I want the user to be able to turn on and off layers for the time spans mentioned however I would like the classes to be linked in such a way that all I have to do is import the new data into the main or parent feature class that would then push the data out to the others. Is this possible?

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: vangelo

This is pretty easy, but there are some caveats, which make it a bit trickier.

First off, you can create a view that uses a date function so that data is restricted to
7/14/... days from either "today" (midnight last night) or "now" (current time), or
"tomorrow" (midnight tonight).

The problem is, realtime data like this tends to be spatially fragmented.  If your import
process fixes the spatial fragmentation, then it will make it temporally fragmented,
which will impact the temporal view performance.

I've built systems to straddle these problems by using partitions and spatially defragmenting
within time windows, so that an "ORDER BY utmzone,latitude" is added to a "WHERE date_col
BETWEEN {lastSunday} AND {thisSunday}" export, then the data table is swapped with the
partition.  This leaves the table with a series of week-long chunks of defragmented data.

If the app uses multiple time windows (days and months), you may want to construct parallel
tables with different partition ranges optimized for spatial search (or both temporal *and*
spatial search - disk is cheap, right?).

- V
0 Kudos