Querying a Mosaic Dataset

08-22-2017 12:33 PM
PaulMcCord1
New Contributor II

I have a mosaic dataset that contains global rasters.  Each of these rasters contains information on the number of people within a pixel by age group as well as sex.  For example, one raster captures the number of males aged 0-4, while another contains the number of males aged 5-9, and so on in four year increments.  This information is provided for the years 2000, 2010, 2015, and 2020.  The mosaic dataset therefore contains many large raster datasets (430 to be exact).  

I'm new to mosaic datasets so I'm partly trying to understand if what I'd like to do is appropriate for a mosaic dataset.  What I'm attempting to do is to query the dataset by both location and time.  For example, I'd like to query by the extent of Brazil for the year 2000.  I'd then like to use the result of this query to iterate through all of the four year age block rasters.  So in this case, I would be iterating through rasters representing 0-4 year old males in Brazil for the year 2000, then 5-9 year old males in Brazil for the year 2000, and so forth.  On each iteration, I would perform some basic calculations, like summing up the total number of people aged 0-4, then summing up the total number of people aged 5-9, and so forth.

I'm familiar with the Select by Attributes and Select by Location tools, but with my limited knowledge of mosaic datasets, I'm not convinced that once I've selected my area of interest and year of interest, I'll be able to perform calculations on just the rasters that have been selected.  I'm considering using the "Export Mosaic Dataset Items" to export only the selected rasters and then perform my analysis on these individual rasters, but I'm hesitant to do this given the sheer number of rasters that I have.

Any advice pertaining to how I could effectively query my mosaic dataset to work with individual rasters within it, or, if this isn't appropriate for a mosaic dataset, other techniques for doing this (like using the "Export Mosaic Dataset Items tool) would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul

0 Kudos
0 Replies