Processing time/speed for Mosaic to New Raster

01-12-2016 12:20 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a question on speeding up “Mosaic to New Raster” or finding an alternative. After completing a suitability analysis we are trying to define movement corridors. We used a modified CircuitScape that left 4 folders, each containing 1080 raster tiles across our study area. We now need combine all 1080 rasters in each folder then combine these 4 combined rasters into a final raster which will be analyzed for paths.

I tried a python script that just wouldn’t work so I went on to Model Builder. It iterates through the grids in the folder, collects the values (raster names), then mosaics all to a new raster. It has been running for 5 days now and the results window indicates it is working. I’m hoping it will conclude in the next day or 2. But, we still have 3 more folders, each with 1080 rasters, that need to be mosaicked. So….is there a way to speed up Mosaic to New Raster or is there an alternative I could use to produce the final grid? 

The cell size is 270 meters, 540 x 540 columns and rows, 1 band, 32 bit floating.  Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

analysed for paths...are all rasters likely to have a path or do you want to include all for the picture effect?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No, not all rasters will have a path. But until we can view them we

won't know which will and which won't. We also will need to find the

best "less than desirable" habitat for paths from one high suitable

areas to another suitable area across distances up to 200 kilometers.

These areas will have a weak current value but will still qualify as a

path. We do not have a cut-off value for what constitutes a path.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am not sure what you mean by "view them".  In their entirety I presume.  I can only suggest pruning out candidates or tiling.  If you intend to use the result view for further processing, you will continue to have problems unless you can scale the area down by selection, extent, cell size or similar reductions.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, by "view them" I meant as an entirety. I think we may have to end

up tiling.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I haven't ruled it out and began investigating it yesterday but I do not

know enough about it to make an informed choice.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think it is your best option when compared to trying to make one composite.  The help topics should give you an idea and there has been enough traffic on the topic that there is lots of documentation

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I will read further on it and try some test areas.

0 Kudos