Problems with Add Geometry (Data Management)

04-23-2016 12:08 PM
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

I have been using Add Geometry sucessfully for a period of time and now today the tool will not run. M y work flow is straight forward:  Polyline converted to equal segment lengths ( Split Line - date management)  then split lines through add geometry to determine bearing of each segment. I get the following error message. I have looked at the python (I am not very conversant) script, but I cannot see where the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Executing: AddGeometryAttributes "C:\Users\Brian Knelller\Documents\ARCGIS\Mars_Working_Template\Mars_GeneralGeo.gdb\FluvialCorridor_Channel_11_Complete\Channel_11_Complete_LRA_LOWER_SPLIT" LINE_START_MID_END;LINE_BEARING # # PROJCS['Mars2000_EquidistantCylindrical_CLON0',GEOGCS['GCS_Mars_2000_Sphere',DATUM['D_Mars2000_Sphere',SPHEROID['Mars2000_IAU_IAG_Sphere',3396190.0,0.0]],PRIMEM['Reference_Meridian',0.0],UNIT['Degree',0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION['Equidistant_Cylindrical'],PARAMETER['False_Easting',0.0],PARAMETER['False_Northing',0.0],PARAMETER['Central_Meridian',0.0],PARAMETER['Standard_Parallel_1',0.0],UNIT['Meter',1.0]]

Start Time: Sat Apr 23 19:11:18 2016

Running script AddGeometryAttributes...

Failed script AddGeometryAttributes...

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.3\ArcToolbox\Scripts\AddGeometryAttributes.py", line 292, in <module>

AddGeometryAttributes(fc, geomProperties, lUnit, aUnit, cs)

File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.3\ArcToolbox\Scripts\AddGeometryAttributes.py", line 49, in AddGeometryAttributes

fields = CreateOutputFields(fc, geomProperties, hasZ, hasM)

File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.3\ArcToolbox\Scripts\AddGeometryAttributes.py", line 244, in CreateOutputFields

arcpy.da.ExtendTable(fc, "OID@", narray, "_ID")

RuntimeError: General function failure [Channel_11_Complete_LRA_LOWER_SPLIT]

Failed to execute (AddGeometryAttributes).

Failed at Sat Apr 23 19:11:20 2016 (Elapsed Time: 1.69 seconds)

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

where is narray and what is in it? check its contents first..  and joins usually fail if the join table is empty...perhaps the array is empty

0 Kudos
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

Helo Dan,  The narray intially contained FID, Shape  (Polyline) & shape_Length and I set Add Geometry to return Line_Start_Mid_End & Line Bearing.  Upon failure I got a mix of resuts which included, no change to the intial narray, the initial array + headers of the columns of the additional attributes with no data,  and finally the initial array + headers of the columns of the additional attributes with all zeros for data. I have 21,000, data entries in narray and suspecting it was a memory issue I cleaned up my PC and realised around 4.5 Gbytes of free disk. It still did not work. Subsequent to my mail I moved the intial feature data from the gbd in mydocs to an external drive with 100 Gbytes of spare disc space and Add Geometry worked OK. So problem solved to a point  -- Am I correct in assuming that ARC found the space demand to great for the gdb and if so what are the limits because I would have expected the spare capacity 4.5Gbytes to be sufficent, or have I grossly underestimated sizes or missed something?

Thanks Brian

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

File geodatabases have not issues What is a file geodatabase?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

What is your memory and your hard disk space?  21k isn't a lot of records so unless you have an very limited amount of memory and/or no room on the hard drive I don't see that being much of an issue.

0 Kudos
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

I have a MacBook Pro Retina running Win 7 (service pack 1) under bootcamp. There is 8Gb of Memory, a 400Mb swap file and 3.9Gb of free disk. I would have thought this would have been more than adequate to run the utility. Its puzzling me because I have only had the problem with "Split Line" quite a while ago when I used most of the available disc space and this time this is not the case.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

All I can suggest is do it in parts, your available memory and hard disk space isn't all available for the tool to run, so try it in parts (may 1/2, or if that fails 1/4, 1/8 etc) just to see if the process works or it some other issue.  You can always reassemble after the fact

BrianKneller
New Contributor III

Hi Dan

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the suggestion I will try  them tomorrow.

Brian

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

keep us posted

0 Kudos
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

License is about to time out and need to finish an assignment, is it OK if I reply next week when I get a refresh  ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

no problem

0 Kudos