Problem with Oracle 11g and adding spatial teble to geodatabase

04-22-2010 09:33 PM
GrahamHumphries
New Contributor
Registering a table in ArcSDE appears to work but the table is not visible in the list of tables in ArcCatalog. I have used the following command:
[INDENT]
sdelayer �??o register �??l doc_refs,obj -t SDO_GEOMETRY -G 28355 -P HIGH -C ArcID �??e l �??i sde:oracle11g:/:RIMSI �??u RIMSI -p *****
[/INDENT]

If I try and export an exact copy of the table I get this error:
[INDENT]Abstract Data Types not supported[RIMSI.DOC_REFS_2][STATE_ID = 6][/INDENT]

The fields in the table are standard types.  I have not had a problem with other tables.

DOCUMENT_ID    NUMBER
ENTIRE_STATE      VARCHAR2(1 BYTE)
REGION             VARCHAR2(10 BYTE)
ROAD_NO             VARCHAR2(5 BYTE)
START_LINK_NO    NUMBER
END_LINK_NO     NUMBER
START_CHNG        NUMBER
END_CHNG             NUMBER
DATE_ARCHIVED    DATE
DATE_ACTIVE     DATE
USAGE_COMMENT  VARCHAR2(250 BYTE)
TRAN_USER     VARCHAR2(30 BYTE)
TRAN_TYPE     VARCHAR2(6 BYTE)
TRAN_DATE_TIME DATE
OBJ                    SDO_GEOMETRY
ID                    NUMBER(12,0)

The only thing that has changed is I have created another geodatabase in the same oracle database, different schema.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PaulDziemiela
New Contributor
Hi Humphriesg,

I just tried it quick on both 10gR2 and 11gR2 with 9.3.1 and the registration worked fine for me.  What's the deal with the "-C ArcID"?  Is that a legacy way to say "-C ID,SDE"?  Interesting.

The Abstract Data type error usually means that you have an nonsupported field or two geometry fields or also when ArcSDE is just confused.  Say it could be searching for ST_GEOMETRY and finding SDO_GEOMETRY.  But your "-t" parameter should make it clear.

Sorry I can't help more but definitely something weird on your end.  As an aside, you might want to consider standardizing your geometry column names to "shape" and your id column names to "objectid".  You don't have to but you might want to just as it seems to avoid some bugs (take NIM042583 for example). 

Cheers,
Paul

p.s. does anyone else really dislike this new forum?  Any compelling reason why all the ArcSDE posts are all lumped together?  I only use Oracle and PostgreSQL with ArcSDE so I never monitored the SQL Server posts.  It was nice when things were all broken up into separate groups.  Now its like a big jumble and my motivation to sift through it is lessened.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
It's sometimes useful to run 'sdetable -o describe' on the target table, since this
will show how the columns will get mapped to ArcSDE datatypes.  For example,
the "ID" col will be mapped to SE_FLOAT64_TYPE, and is not eligible to be a
registered rowid column (even if it were defined NOT NULL).

I'll second the recommendation to use "shape", "geometry" or some descriptive
name (e.g., "polygon") for the geometry column.

- V

BTW: Keep in mind that "-e l" will only permit single-part simple_line features --
a safer declaration would be "-e nsl+" (nil or multi-part line or simple_line).
0 Kudos