Problem Importing Raster into File Geodatabase

06-23-2014 10:50 AM
MichaelD_Aprix
New Contributor II
I have been georectifying historic maps and at the moment many of them are in different folders.  I like storing all of my data in a geodatabse regardless of what I'm doing.  I have been doing this for the past year with no issues on 10.1.  I have recently started using 10.2 at an institution where I do not have administrative privileges. 

Nearly every time I try to import a raster to my file geodatabase I get this warning: 

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
FDO error: -2147024864 [GDB_Items]
No spatial reference exists.
The table was not found. [file name]
Failed to execute (CopyRaster).

All the files have spatial references and, here's the kicker, it'll work the seventh or eighth time I try to import.  I'm not sure what I am doing differently or if there is some lock on the data that is causing this but it is incredibly frustrating.  It seems like running the operation from the contents in ArcCatalog rather than the Catalog Tree works better and refreshing everything repeatedly helps, again though, it takes seven or eight times before that actually works for some reason.

Has anyone else experienced this or has an answer?  It would really help prevent a lot of frustration.

**Update**

So it seems that if I refresh all folders and geodatabases before I run the process the raster will be imported into the geodatabase without any problems.  I would still like to know why this is the only way that I can import rasters without getting an error message
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Michael,

It appears you are using the Copy Raster tool.  Are you able to reproduce the same issue when using the Raster to Geodatabase tool?
0 Kudos
MichaelD_Aprix
New Contributor II
Yesterday, even using the Raster to geodatabase tool did not work.  This morning before opening ArcMap, both 'Copy Raster' and 'Raster to Geodatabase' worked flawlessly on my remaining data in ArcCatalog.  However, after I clipped a raster in ArcMap, which I couldn't save in the geodatabase everything stopped working again on any data I have tried to import into the geodatabase. 

I also tried to edit a polygon feature class which is in the same database, it would not let me delete a feature which I had altered before.  There was no error message and when I tried to create a new empty feature class in the database and bring it into ArcMap I was given a 'The table was not found' error. 

I'm starting to think this is some sort of error with the database itself? Maybe the database has been corrupted in some way? I've never had any of these problems before in ArcMap 10.1 or previous versions I have used.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Seems the issue is with the geodatabase itself.  I would recommend creating a new File Geodatabase and see if the issue is reproducible there.  If it's not, the geodatabase has become corrupt.  You can try and salvage it by running the Recover File Geodatabase tool.  If this does not work, you can copy/paste the data from the corrupted File Geodatabase to the newly created one.
0 Kudos