Problem converting polygon to KML

Jump to solution
05-28-2015 07:50 AM
MariaMartinez
New Contributor II

I have a polygon feature class of buildings that I am converting to KML to view in Google Maps. Most of the features export correctly but some polygons are not converting properly and are being reshaped. There are simple features with not a lot of vertices in them. Any idea how to fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesPierce
Occasional Contributor II

How were the building footprints created?  Some may have been drawn in a reverse direction.  Try recreating one of the polygons by tracing it and see if that helps. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

If your data is a shapefile or you can convert it to shapefile, you can open shapefiles in Google Earth without needing to convert to kml.  You can either click and drag the .shp in, or you can use File/Open then change the file type to .shp and navigate to where the file is stored. Once in google earth, it can be saved as a kml.

Do you have terrain on in Google Earth?  That can sometime seem to skew kmls as well.

JamesPierce
Occasional Contributor II

How were the building footprints created?  Some may have been drawn in a reverse direction.  Try recreating one of the polygons by tracing it and see if that helps. 

MariaMartinez
New Contributor II

The buildings were digitized. I redid one building adding vertices in a counter-clock direction and that fixed the problem. I had no idea the direction of digitizing a polygon was important. Thanks!