PostGIS Coordinate System Identifier Invalid..

01-13-2014 07:13 AM
AndrewDavis
New Contributor
Trying out PostGIS..

I have it installed, and running.  (postgreSQL 9.0/postGIS 2.0).  I am able to make connection inside ArcCatalog and can import tables (provided the db is lower case). 

I can import .shp files via the PostGIS2.0 PostGIS Shapefile Import/Export Manager. Into a database which was constructed using the postGIS template db which installs as part of the the initial setup.  Inside that db, there is only one schema "public".

Inside that schema there is a default table from the template "spatial_ref_sys"    ( I thought I was good to go with only that table )

When I try to 'import' a single feature class I get an error...  "DBMS table not found"... and  "Spatial Type not installed in the db"

When I ran the Shapefile Import/Export Manager, I could upload a shapefile but could not preview it "The coordinate system identifier is invalid"

I am pretty sure I missed a step, or have something left to configure.

I can connect via ArcCatalog (so I have the 32bit for catalog) and can make a simple table, but nothing else yet.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the spatial system error resolved?

Andy
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndrewDavis
New Contributor
SOLUTION:...

I went back and deleted the db I had been working with completely.  Then inside pgAdminIII got rid of the 'roles' I had defined.  I did leave the automatically created "postgre" role (that is the db server super user).

Once I was back at a clean start point, I created a "Login Role" sde and gave it superuser status.

Then I opened up ArcCatalog and ran the "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" tool again.  It went through and made the database, defined the schema, populated the schema 'sde' with all of the appropriate tables and gave me a thumbs up on the operation.

Now I can import and view/use information inside my database connection for sde in ArcCatalog and ArcMap.

My problem was that I was doing things disjointedly, and by the time I found the 'Create Enterprise Geodatabase' tool I had things jumbled and they would not turn out correct.

Hope this helps someone...
0 Kudos