Polygons in Address Locator

04-22-2012 01:33 PM
MikeLouwrens
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,
I have used a polygon layer in my Address Locator, however this is still treated like points when I use the Address Inspector on the geocoding toolbar in ArcMap.  If I click in a large polygon the address inspector finds the closest polygon centroid to where I clicked (even if that centroid is NOT in the polygon I clicked in).  Is there a way to force my address locator to use the polygon I click in, or nearest if I click where there is no polygon?

See screenshots - I click in three places all within the same polygon (selected polygon in screenshot).  In two of them, the centre of a different polygon was nearer where I click, so it has offered that address, rather than the address of the polygon I've click in.  To me it would make more sense that if something is within a parcel it should get the address of that parcel, not another one nearby?

Cheers,
Mike.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MOelschlegal

Mike,

Simply put the address inspector picks the centroid closest to the point where you clicked and, even if the target is a polygon, it acts like a point.  You can change the search distance by right-clicking once you have the address inspector tool in use.  This can help solve the problem of pointing to a centroid outside the polygon you have clicked in but will not help pick a centroid if you click somewhere that a polygon doesn't exist.  Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways.

Matt
0 Kudos