polygon creation with feature template

01-05-2016 01:06 PM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3

Q1:

Anyway to select a polygon from a feature template and single click the map to add a completed pre-defined polygon?

Much like you select a point from a feature template and single click the map to create the point.

Q2:

If this is possible, does it carry over to feature service - and AGOL?

thanks,

Tags (1)
14 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Answer 1:  why not copy and paste?

Answer 2: no idea.

That should just about do it....
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Why would this be needed? Not clear as to the purpose, whether it is a point or a polygon

0 Kudos
danbecker

I have an existing polygon that has correct x/y dimensions. I would like other editors to simply select the polygon from the feature template and drop it onto the map in a location of their choosing. The catch, I want the editors to do so using ArcGIS Online.

This would be simple in ArcGIS Desktop, but since there is not a "copy feature" tool in ArcGIS Online, I was trying to figure out a way to accomplish this using feature templates, which are supported in AGOL after publishing the .mxd to a feature service.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ahhh... and an empty feature layer would not work either Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

so I assume the geometry is as important as the location

0 Kudos
danbecker

Yes, geometry is important.

The polygons represent fixed survey area "units" that are walk-able in a single day. The client (editors) will simply "drop" the survey area polys where they want us to survey. Field surveyors will load the same webmap in Collector and know exactly where to survey. It's a way of having the client definitively tell us where they want our surveyors to go.

The only workarounds I can think of:

1. I did create a point symbol that draws at the correct dimensions and is automatically scaled according to the reference scale set in the data frame properties. While this works in ArcMap I highly doubt it would act the same in AGOL.

2. Create a web app. using the JS API, have the client use the web app to drop the survey polygons. Include the feat. service in an AGOL web map that the surveyors will use with Collector. As long as all the surveyors push/pull sync each morning before heading out they will be continually "updated" as to where surveys should take place. This should work, but quite a bit of hassling around for a very basic task.

I'm open to other suggestions.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Feature templates store default symbology and attributes, but not geometry. As Joe indicates, copying and pasting in an edit session would be the fastest way to duplicate geometry.

KevenArsenault
New Contributor II

I have the same issue. Wondering if anyone has tried to solve this. 

For my case, the idea is for people to design camp construction with templates of tentage footprint for refugee camps and the likes. Other templates could include generators, light trailors, heaters, pumps, showers etc, but I can usually get away with point features as long as they are only seen at very limited extents. 

Any widget out there to be able to edit and add features of certain geometry?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Keven Arsenault wrote:

I have the same issued. Wondering if anyone has tried to solve this.

Yes, in ArcGIS Pro we introduced preset editing templates. You can make an edit template from a set of selected features then use that template to create those features on the map.

KevenArsenault
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

I'm wondering if that template can be transferred to ArcGIS Online for users to be able to build their camp design right on the map using pre-set tentage of 5m x 10m, for example, and projected on web mercator. They would then need to be able to rotate each feature as required. Can this be done as is or is there a custom widget available which addresses this need? A copy-feature paste-feature widget would help too. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos