Point at end of line tool specifying length

11-18-2013 01:49 PM
KarenDouglas
New Contributor III
I am trying to create a feature, placing a point at a specific length and angle from an existing point.
I use the point at the end of a line tool, click on the existing point with snapping features on, and click ctrl-L. I type in the length and units (7 m). The UI goes away and the length is not fixed. It will work without units, but then i end up with the map display units. This used to work a month ago. I'm using 10.1. Is anyone else having the same problem? Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
I am not familiar with the method you are describing.

When I have had to do it I use the COGO tool to draw lines.  I then add the points and snap them to the end points of the lines.  If your in a geometric network it should create a network junction at each end that you can then copy paste into your point feature class

I am trying to create a feature, placing a point at a specific length and angle from an existing point.
I use the point at the end of a line tool, click on the existing point with snapping features on, and click ctrl-L. I type in the length and units (7 m). The UI goes away and the length is not fixed. It will work without units, but then i end up with the map display units. This used to work a month ago. I'm using 10.1. Is anyone else having the same problem? Thanks.
0 Kudos
KarenDouglas
New Contributor III
Ok. I'm just using the basic editing tools...create point...using the template "Point at end of a line". It used to work that I could specify a distance ie 8 m by clicking ctrl-L and as long as the units were given, it would put the length in that unit. This doesn't seem to work anymore. It just uses the units of the map display (degrees). I'm wondering if there's a different way to do this now. Sorry, I don't think that I explained myself very well the first time.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Karen,

Unit abbreviations only work when your data frame uses a projected coordinate system rather than a geographic coordinate system.  See the following help doc:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//01m600000036000000
0 Kudos