Permanently Reorder Fields in Feature Class (SDE)

Jump to solution
08-20-2015 07:09 AM
TimothySandstrom
New Contributor III

I admit I have not beat the internet or ArcGIS Help to submission in finding an answer but in my brief travel I have not found an acceptable answer.

The question is, is there a way to permanently reorder fields via ArcMap, ArcCatalog or other?

Would really, really help with configuring pop-ups within an AGOL web map.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Not without dropping the table and replacing it with a table with columns in a different order. 

A view can be used to specify column order, but they can't participate in many geoodatabase-centric behaviors.

- V

View solution in original post

14 Replies
VinceAngelo

Not without dropping the table and replacing it with a table with columns in a different order. 

A view can be used to specify column order, but they can't participate in many geoodatabase-centric behaviors.

- V

SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II

Not sure what version you're using but these tools work on SDE tables. Install the add in and use the tools menu. Under that you'll find reorder and replace field tools. *Caution* This will drop and recreate your table so any relationships will drop too.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9ea218ff575f4a5195e01a2cae03a0ae

BenDrury
Occasional Contributor

YES I have been looking for this for YEARS!!!!

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Like Vince says not t without dropping the table and replacing it with a table with columns in a different order.   You can go into designer in SSMS and re-order your columns as you see fit.  When you have SSMS configured to allow saving changes that require a table to be dropped it's fairly straightforward.  If you reorder a business table that is versioned or versioned and archived make sure you apply the exact same change to both the A and H tables.  We try not to do this too often.

David

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

Are all the geodatabase-required pieces added back in to the table?  I'm not sure I'm brave enough to give Microsoft carte blanche with my geodatabase integrity.

- V

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I completely understand, but I've never had an issue. I've performed this operation under both binary and sql geometry storage schemas and all system attributes are always in place, both populated and not.  Typically we'll move say a globalid column to the end of the line, but it's not something we take lightly or do often but does work. I will always perform a save in the order of business, add, archive.

-David

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I should add that I have never and would never try a reorder unless the database is compressed so as to eliminate any impact to states tables

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Has this changed at all in the last few years?  I used SSMS in the past to reorder no problem.  But I am not sure I ever did it on a versioned table. 

I mostly used it to change GDBs.  I would copy the GDB into SQL, reorder fields, then copy out to a new GDB. 

Is it the versioning that makes this different?  The tables are new on a Dev server so I could maybe un-version, reorder, re-version?

Thanks

0 Kudos