Override color in symbology - is it possible?

Jump to solution
01-22-2016 08:10 AM
JúlioLuta
New Contributor III

I'm using ArcMap 10.3.1 and I wanted to ask if this is possible.

I want to represent lines in the following way:

- Color gradient using the a slope field

- Override that color for a certain value in a different field (for example stairs or sidewalk width)

Can I do this without needing to change my slope field and adding a value to represent stairs/etc?

I know I can just duplicate the layer and use different symbology. But in all instances of ArcMap I used it doesn't really look good having duplicated lines with the same width (even with the top one wider) and different colors. Something in the way they are rendered (I haven't tried to see how these maps are exported). So if this could be done it would have a much better result.

I hope I put this on the right Place.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

I think the best way to handle this is to use definition queries. You will need to have duplicate layers, but with definition queries you can tell one of them to only show the lines that have stairs and the other one to only show lines that don't. Then set up the symbology as you like for each.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

I think the best way to handle this is to use definition queries. You will need to have duplicate layers, but with definition queries you can tell one of them to only show the lines that have stairs and the other one to only show lines that don't. Then set up the symbology as you like for each.