Overgeneralized polygons while editing

Jump to solution
07-26-2012 07:19 AM
JamesNunn
New Contributor III
I have a very strange problem when editing polygons either creating or reshaping. Whenever they are edited, the shape becomes radicaly generalised. I can't find any settings in the editor preferences to change tolerances; I wonder if I am missing something obvious.

I am using ArcGIS Basic (ArcView). The polygons I am editing are in a geodatabase, but it makes no difference if they are shapefiles or feature classes anyway.

Some screencaps for what the polygon should look like and what it looks like after editing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16417[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16418[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamesnunn

I have the some problem! does anyone too? how to resolve it?

I did call ESRI support and it was a simple fix. I was using an MXD and data frame created in a previous version of ArcMap. I simply created a new data frame, copied the layers to the new data frame and removed the old one. It fixed a couple of smaller issues I was having regarding selection tolerance too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: yhadiprakarsa

0 Kudos
JamesNunn
New Contributor III
I have not yet found a solution to this, I can't find any settings which change the behaviour of this. It really is a serious problem for my editing workflow.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rfairhur24

I have not yet found a solution to this, I can't find any settings which change the behaviour of this. It really is a serious problem for my editing workflow.

In Catalog (ArcCatalog pre-ArcGIS 10 and/or Catalog window in ArcMap for ArcGIS 10+) right click one of the feature classes that exhibits this behavior and open the Properties dialog.  In the dialog check the tolerance and resolution tabs and report the value and units of each.  If at some point the feature class underwent a change in these settings to a courser level, you would have to build a completely new FC (and Feature Dataset if you are using one) to be able to create finer grade objects.  Anyway, either these settings or some other tolerance based setting in ArcMap is preventing points from being stored with the shapes that you want.
0 Kudos
JamesNunn
New Contributor III
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I checked the settings and attach a screenshot of them and are set at well below the kind of distances I am digitising across. They won't have gone through any changes, and the behaviour has occurred with other feature classes also.

I have attached another screenshot as an example of me trying to draw a polygon by tracing the rectangular building. I have no other snapping turned on except for the object I am trying to trace.

The problem occurs when I am tracing features manually, and also when I use the 'Cut polygon by line' tool.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rfairhur24

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I checked the settings and attach a screenshot of them and are set at well below the kind of distances I am digitising across. They won't have gone through any changes, and the behaviour has occurred with other feature classes also.

I have attached another screenshot as an example of me trying to draw a polygon by tracing the rectangular building. I have no other snapping turned on except for the object I am trying to trace.

The problem occurs when I am tracing features manually, and also when I use the 'Cut polygon by line' tool.

At this point you should contact customer support.  If you want to continue to seek input here I suggest creating screen shots of every setting you can imagine that might cause this.  The Data Frame Properties, the Editing Options Properties, snapping stick settings, etc.  Does the tracing seem to follow the object and only generalize after you commit the sketch?  Or does it happen as you are sketching?  You have to gather enough information to help ESRI to reproduce the problem on their end.

Also, you never said what version of ArcMap you are using, operating system, etc.  The basics of any help troubleshooting.  You will need all of that for customer support anyway.
0 Kudos
JamesNunn
New Contributor III
you never said what version of ArcMap you are using, operating system

Indeed I didn't. I'll look to customer support, but before I run there:

Windows 7 64bit
ArcGIS 10.1 Basic

The problem happens as I am digitising and before creating the features. I don't think I'll screenshot everything, just leave it here and if it gets solved I'll check back.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamesnunn

I did call ESRI support and it was a simple fix. I was using an MXD and data frame created in a previous version of ArcMap. I simply created a new data frame, copied the layers to the new data frame and removed the old one. It fixed a couple of smaller issues I was having regarding selection tolerance too.
0 Kudos