upgrade to ArcSDE 10.1

Jump to solution
08-14-2012 09:41 AM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III
currently running Desktop, Server, ArcSDE 10.0 planning to upgrade all to 10.1

I plan on uninstalling all 10.0 desktop and server instances, then install desktop and server 10.1.

What about our SQL server express 2008 / ArcSDE 10.0 ? Do I uninstall SDE 10.0, then run the server install CD and select the SQL server 2008 option, enable gdb storage? After completing the wizard, I will have SDE 10.1?

thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Correct.  Uninstall ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop 10 and install ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop 10.1.  There is no installation of ArcSDE with workgroup; all the ArcSDE functionality is built into the ArcGIS clients because you are using direct connections exclusively.

If you want to upgrade the workgroup geodatabases to 10.1, log in to your 10.1 ArcGIS Desktop as a database server administrator (dbo) and make backups of your workgroup geodatabases.  Then you can upgrade.  (Note that you cannot upgrade your geodatabases if there are any connections being made to them, and this includes published services pointing to the data in them.  So if you published or started any ArcGIS Server services that connect to the geodatabases, stop them before you upgrade.)

Happy upgrading! 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Hi,

It sounds like you have ArcGIS Server Workgroup. Is that correct?  If so, there isn't any ArcSDE to uninstall and reinstall, and you don't have to run the wizard to enable your SQL Server Express instance to store geodatabases; unless you are have an EDN or Education Site license, your existing license should still work.

After you've installed Desktop 10.1, you can use the Upgrade Geodatabase tool to upgrade your workgroup geodatabases to 10.1.

If I misinterpreted, and you're actually using ArcGIS Server Enterprise, then whether you install ArcSDE 10.1 depends on whether you use an ArcSDE service to connect to your geodatabases and/or if you use ArcSDE administration commands.
0 Kudos
danbecker
Hi,

It sounds like you have ArcGIS Server Workgroup. Is that correct?  If so, there isn't any ArcSDE to uninstall and reinstall, and you don't have to run the wizard to enable your SQL Server Express instance to store geodatabases; unless you are have an EDN or Education Site license, your existing license should still work.

After you've installed Desktop 10.1, you can use the Upgrade Geodatabase tool to upgrade your workgroup geodatabases to 10.1.

If I misinterpreted, and you're actually using ArcGIS Server Enterprise, then whether you install ArcSDE 10.1 depends on whether you use an ArcSDE service to connect to your geodatabases and/or if you use ArcSDE administration commands.

your right, we have ArcGIS server workgroup.

So, I uninstall Server 10.0, then re-install Server 10.1 (same box) and don't touch SQL server express 2008 or ArcSDE?

After installing desktop 10.1, I connect to SQL instance/SDE gdb and use upgrade gdb tool and convert it to gdb 10.1; This is the whole purpose of the upgrade, feature ownership for remote editing & new server printing via the JS api.
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Correct.  Uninstall ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop 10 and install ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop 10.1.  There is no installation of ArcSDE with workgroup; all the ArcSDE functionality is built into the ArcGIS clients because you are using direct connections exclusively.

If you want to upgrade the workgroup geodatabases to 10.1, log in to your 10.1 ArcGIS Desktop as a database server administrator (dbo) and make backups of your workgroup geodatabases.  Then you can upgrade.  (Note that you cannot upgrade your geodatabases if there are any connections being made to them, and this includes published services pointing to the data in them.  So if you published or started any ArcGIS Server services that connect to the geodatabases, stop them before you upgrade.)

Happy upgrading! 🙂
0 Kudos
danbecker
great, thanks for the info; have desktop and server 10.1 downloading now!
0 Kudos