Orthorectify a raster and DEM...with a twist!

06-20-2014 04:48 AM
LeslieSarapu1
New Contributor
I am trying to drape an aerial raster (.jpg) image over a DEM (.asc/ASCII) layer to create a 3D looking model of the aerial photo in ArcMap. I do not have access to ArcToolbox, ArcScene, or ArcGlobe (the big twist). I have found an Orthorectification button on the Image Analysis window, as well as an Orthorectify option on the Layer Properties window but unfortunately haven't been able to get either to work. With that said if anyone can build on the leads I have come across so far or even offer up a different suggestion that would be great.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Leslie,

If you are looking to achieve a 3D look, I don't believe you will want to rectify your raster. Orthorectification is the process of stretching the image to match the  spatial accuracy of a map by considering location, elevation, and sensor  information.

I would recommend creating a hillshade of the DEM and then display the JPG on top of the hillshade with 50% transparency.  Take a look at the following link for steps on how to create a hillshade using the Image Analysis window:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/with_hillshading/009t0000007q000000/

After the hillshade is created, draw the JPG on top of the hillshade and set the JPG's transparency to 50%.
0 Kudos
LeslieSarapu1
New Contributor
Thank you so much for your quick reply!

I think I may have misused some key terms here (sorry for the confusion). What I am trying to do is take my aerial image and rectify it to a set of ground control points (.shp), essentially rubber sheeting the image (no problems on this step, works every time). From there my goal is to take the rectified image and drape it over the DEM so not only do I have an image that is in the correct location geographically in the X and Y dimension, but is also scaled for relief and correct in the Z dimension so the image will be a true representation of what is actually on the ground when taking terrain or relief into account later on in this project.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Okay, then you will definitely want to orthorectify the image.  When you stated earlier that you were not able to get the Orthorectification tool to work, were you receiving an error?  Here are steps on how to perform the orthorectification:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//009t000000mv000000
0 Kudos
LeslieSarapu1
New Contributor
I have followed these steps exactly many times over. I get to this step and hit the Orthorectify button and the temporary Ortho layer is created but I can't see it (even after turning the other layers off). I then try to export it in hopes of creating a permanent layer that can then be imported. I select the new Ortho layer and hit the export button in the Image Analysis window, direct the file to be saved to my working folder,  give it a name, and keep the default settings the same (settings being: Extent-Raster Dataset, Spatial Reference-Raster Dataset, Cell Size-0.5 by 0.5, Format-TIFF, Compression Type-NONE). Upon hitting save, essentially nothing happens. The program gets stuck in a loop (trying to save for hours on end) at this point and eventually crashes without creating a new file. No error messages.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
I probably would need to take a look at the data to see what's going on.  Do you have a dropbox or ftp account you could upload the JPG and DEM to?
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
I have followed these steps exactly many times over. I get to this step and hit the Orthorectify button and the temporary Ortho layer is created but I can't see it (even after turning the other layers off)..

Have you tried altering the 'Stretch' in the Symbology section of Layer Properties?
0 Kudos
LeslieSarapu1
New Contributor
Hi Jake,

I am definitely willing to share these files in exchange for your help with this issue. However, we do have some strict licensing policies on sharing this type of data.  Would you be open to signing an NDA and License agreement before I send the files?  I only need your Full Name, Address, email, phone, and company name if applicable. If you are not able to agree to these terms I completely understand.
0 Kudos
LeslieSarapu1
New Contributor
Mark,

Stretching the image changes the visual characteristics (ie. color) of the image. I am interested in altering the physical characteristics of the image but thank-you for the suggestion.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
I would recommend contacting Tech Support at 888-377-4575.  They can perform a desktop streaming session and view your screen w/o the need for you to send them data.
0 Kudos