Oracle client doesn't work for some users

04-04-2017 08:53 AM
WilliamBuerger
Occasional Contributor

I have a system running an Oracle database (12c, 64bit) and I need to have ArcMap running on this same system connect to the database.  ArcMap is 32bit so I also have the 32bit Oracle 12c instant client on the system.  The user I was connected as when I set all of this up works fine having the 64bit oracle server path first in the environment variables.  But any other user on this system gets the "Failed to connect to database ... database client software failed to load..." error.  All of the discussions on this topic seem to focus on the environment path which I did in order to get the first user to work.  But everything is setup the same for the other users yet it doesn't work for them.  Is there anything else that could cause the Oracle client to fail to load?  Is there any other logs or checks you can perform to see where the problem is coming from?

Tags (1)
20 Replies
WilliamBuerger
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi William- 

I just wanted to confirm what you said in the first post and that it is the Oracle instant client installed vs the admin client? 

Also, you mention system in a couple of places- are these different windows users on the same machine trying to open ArcMap 10.2.1 and connect to that Oracle database or are these users on different machines? 

If this is all one one machine, could you try (while logged in as you / the successful user) try opening ArcMap as one of the other users who is having issues (shift + right click < run as different user) and test. Also, depending upon the results of this- log onto the machine as one of the problematic users- and run ArcMap as yourself and re-test. Sorry- just trying to get a little better understanding of the configuration.

Can you provide a screenshot of the database connection properties of the connection as well? Thanks!

0 Kudos
TroyBum72
Occasional Contributor

Was this ever resolved?  I think I have the same issue.  I am reading this as a permissions issue. One machine.  2 clients.  We have done this successfully for years.  For some reason a user who, like me has the same administrator permissions, can't access the 32 bit client but CAN access the 64bit.  I install them side by side in the same Oracle Directory - sub 12c32 and 12c64.  I know the path is right and am not worried due to years of success on a documented process.  User can not access the Oracle/12c32 folder structure or run SQL Plus from start menu or command prompt, I am fine.  Of course can't connect in Catalog.  All permissions seem to be the same and inherit applied through the entire drive (which happens to be a 😧 drive, but I have another user with a C: drive issue so I don't think the drive is the issue).  I truly feel this is a Windows permission issue.  I spent over 1 hour on the phone with support yesterday, no success.  I was hoping my issue truly is the same and that your issue was resolved.  Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
WilliamBuerger
Occasional Contributor

I never got it to work.  In the end, I setup a VM on the same hardware to act as the "client" while the physical system acted as the server.  Then I didn't have to try to work around having the server and client software running on the same windows installation.

0 Kudos
TroyBum72
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. I did get it to work.  I had to remove access to the folder for an Oracle user set up at during client install. This is new crap that happens with the administrator client at 12c.  It has been a while since I noticed this causing a problem.  Then I had to reapply my folder permissions at the top-level directory including inheritance and all so that "authenticated users" had access to these directories.  Not sure why things were jacked up but they were.

WilliamBuerger
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info.  The project we were setting this up for is done now and the resources have been reallocated.  But when I get the chance, I'll try your solution so I know for myself in the future.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Would you have the ability to use the Oracle Instant client instead of the Oracle Admin client?

0 Kudos
TroyBum72
Occasional Contributor

Nope.  Tried that.  We do have people who use SQL Developer quite a bit.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-TvScMv0jHDIa
New Contributor

I'm currently having the same problem too.

I did read this on Oracle's help site

Starting with Oracle Database 12c, during installation, you can specify an Oracle Home User associated with the Oracle Database home on the Specify Oracle Home User screen. The Oracle Home user owns all the Windows services run by the Oracle Database software. You can either specify an existing Windows user, or have the installer create the user for you. The Oracle Home user and several database services with the proper Access Control Lists (ACLs) are configured during installation.

Select Use Windows Built-in Account if you do not specify an Oracle Home User during installation. Then the services for the Oracle home run as the LocalService or LocalSystem user.

from webpage

Installing Oracle Database Client 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-TvScMv0jHDIa
New Contributor

This seems to have gotten my computer working but I don't know if it's a fix for everyone

I copied the admin folder from a working computer 

C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_admin\network\admin. 

The hint I saw said to copy the tnsnames.ora file but in my case the folder was empty so I copied all the files

then I followed the instructions from this website

Use 32 and 64bit Oracle Client in parallel on Windows 7 64-bit for e.g. .NET Apps · Realfiction 

Basically they suggest making a softlink shortcut folder in both the 32bit and 64 bit folders in the c:windows folder

using a cmd window and the mklink command

and then to create an entry in the environment path in the advanced settings which points to where the shortcut folder is in the c:\windows\system32 folder .

0 Kudos