Noob Query : Model Builder Question

07-29-2011 01:39 PM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III
Forgive me if this isn't the correct forum to post this, but I've looked through them all and can't seem to find the 'right' thread for Model Builder...

My question is this... is it possible to build a Model for creating new features?
Let me explain in more depth. I have created Feature Classes (currently MDB stored soon to be SDE) for various city GIS objects (i.e., Buildings, Parking Lots, etc.). Whenever I get a new Subdivision CAD file from the developing engineer I pull it into ArcView, digitize the pieces we use (streets usually and any buildings that might be visible on the plat), then it's time to break out the editing tools.

I right click on my "Location Annotation" feature in my Table of Contents.
Edit Features -> Start Editing -> Select Template (Postal Address) -> Follow Feature -> Enter the Building/House number -> Place the text -> Then I have to enter the building number (again), prefix directional, street name, street type, suffix directional, and the apartment/office/etc (if there is one).

What I am envisioning is this...
Surely there is a way to develop a model that would let me enter the address as one field:
1234 E Somewhere St S

It would break it up into the correct pieces and place those strings in their respective fields of the Annotation Feature class, and ask me if there is another address on that street to enter which would mean I only have to enter the building number because the other pieces are already sitting in memory...

Is this a dream or is it just fantasy?

Trying to Automate a process that whoever is in my position will be doing for as long as we have ESRI... Anyone have an answer for me?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrianO_keefe
Let me  both *bump* and change this question up.

I have an excel sheet loaded with text information.
The dream Model here would do the following:

1. Ask me what Excel file to open

2. Open target Excel sheet

3. Iterate through list of addresses

4. As it hits an address, generate an XYZ feature class (point) and ask me to click to place it

5. Populate the newly placed feature class with specific fields from the Excel sheet

Is this possible?
0 Kudos
JamesHood
Occasional Contributor
For the first question:  Yes I think you could automate it with some scripting.  I don't work with geocoding though so its above me.

As for the second question:

4.As it hits an address, generate an XYZ feature class (point) and ask me to click to place it

You want to click to place the point?

Generally I would envision  an excel  file with X and Y columns ( lat and long for instance) associated with the data already.
You could easily generate a Point shapefile with the Address attribute attached to the X, Y.  Then the Annotations could be automatically generated from this.

But I think you want to create a tool that asks you where to place the annotation for an address before knowing the XY.. IE, the user would input the XY manually for each address?

I think that is a reverse way of going about this problem.

Try creating an ID column in your excel file "addressID" numbered consecutively: 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc...

Then create a point shapefile.  While in editor mode, click where you would like each address to go an make sure to number the AddressID field on your shapefile the same as  on the  address excel file.

Afterwords you can join the point file to the excel table using the AddressID as your Key.
Label the points based on the Address Field(s)
Convert to annotation.

Maybe this will help you get started?
0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe
That sounds like the way to go. I really appreciate the tips from everyone! Great Forum!
0 Kudos