no editable layers and can't edit versioned...

04-06-2011 12:08 AM
tongkimongki
New Contributor
i got errors "no editable layers and can't edit versioned workspace.check that you have proper permission on the version". The fc is not versioned and i have un-check the version editing....
I log in as the schema owner. And I have followed the guidelines here http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/User_permissions_for_geodatabases_in_P... for managing user permission.

This happens quite often after I use geoprocessing "Append". First time,second time..i run append, the fc can be edited..after a few times, this error comes up

I solve this by copying the data into a new fc and edit this new fc. I want to know why i encounter this error.

[Arcgis svr 10, Desktop 10 SP 1, Postgre 8.3.8]
0 Kudos
10 Replies
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor
When you originally bring the feature into your ArcMap session it's probably "owned" by another user.  The other user created the data and therefore owns it.  When you open your geodatabase and copy the data into your feature class you know "own" it within your spatial database connection properties. 

Go to the original feature class, in a connection with the data owner's connection properties, right click on it and choose Privileges.  Enter your credentials and grant View and Edit permissions.

Let me know if that helps.
0 Kudos
AravindHiriyanniah
New Contributor II
When you originally bring the feature into your ArcMap session it's probably "owned" by another user.  The other user created the data and therefore owns it.  When you open your geodatabase and copy the data into your feature class you know "own" it within your spatial database connection properties. 

Go to the original feature class, in a connection with the data owner's connection properties, right click on it and choose Privileges.  Enter your credentials and grant View and Edit permissions.

Let me know if that helps.

Hi,
I have the same issue. I have given SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE privileges to the user from Oracle and also given view and edit privileges for the dataset from ArcCatalog. User can create a session but not able to edit one particular dataset. I get the same errro. "Cannot edit versioned workspace. check that you have proper permissions on the version"

Any thoughts?

Thanks
0 Kudos
JeremyWilliams
New Contributor II
Any update on this?  I am getting the same error.
0 Kudos
NanaDei
Esri Contributor
Please review these steps to determine if it helps:

1. Run the 'sdelayer -o describe -l <featureclass>,shape -i 5151 -u -p' command on the feature class or feature classes in the dataset to determine whether the layer is in NORMAL or LOAD_ONLY mode.

Review the I/O mode - Only feature classes in NORMAL mode can be edited.

2. Check whether the option to register the feature dataset as versioned is grayed out. If it is active, it is likely due to the addition of a new feature class in the dataset. In this instance, versioned or non-versioned editing cannot be performed on any of the feature classes in the dataset.

By default, ArcMap is configured for versioned editing. Review the following link to perform non-versioned editing.

------
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002700000007000000.htm

Thanks
ChrisMathers1
Occasional Contributor II

I am having this exact issue right now with a 10.7 EGDB on SQLServer. The error affects all the feature classes in certain feature datasets but not all of them. Users with full privileges can view data but are given an error that there is no editable data. A quick fix I have just tried is to make the database users members of db_datareader and db_datawriter but if there is a better fix I would like to implement it.

0 Kudos
NanaDei
Esri Contributor

Can the data owner successfully start an edit session without being added to the fixed database roles?

Are there any feature classes in one of the problematic feature datasets participating in relationship classes and the editor doesn't have permissions on the related tables?

Please create a support case and let us review the behavior if the above troubleshooting questions do not help. We might start testing with a new user with only edit permissions on one of the problematic feature datasets (the db_datareader and db_datawriter roles will not be applied). An sdeintercept can be set up to log actions for the 'start editing' operation and it will be reviewed for any errors. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
ChrisMathers1
Occasional Contributor II

I always forget about sdeintercept. When I connect as the sde user, all the feature classes are owned by sde, I can edit anything. I removed  db_datareader and db_datawriter from my domain user in the database and tried to connect with an sdeintercept set up. When I add a feature class from a dataset I can edit the contents of the dataset is recorded in the output as "User Privileges:       SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE" but when I add something from a dataset I am blocked from editing only "User Privileges:       SELECT" is recorded for the data. I checked and do have full privileges for both datasets. I will open a support ticket in the morning on this.

0 Kudos
JeremyWilliams
New Contributor II
That was it, thank you!
(One of the layers wasn't set back to IO during an automated update)
0 Kudos
ScottRice
New Contributor II
tongki,
Did you ever get a resolution to your original problem?  It looks like you started this thread but never responded with a fix.  I am wondering because I am now having the same issue.  We have several feature classes in a Feature Dataset and after one of our staff does several appends he gets the message "can't edit versioned workspace, check that you have proper permissions on the version"

We are using ArcSDE 10.0 in SQL 2005 and the analyst is connecting as the data owner to edit.  He is able to edit for a while and then eventually gets this message.  I have run the checks from one of the previous posts and all the data is in NORMAL for the I/O mode AND the entire feature dataset is registered as versioned. 

What else could be causing this?  Thanks,
Scott
0 Kudos